You can type here any text you want

cam sensor in an on center

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bilt2run

Is the method for dialing in a cam sensor different for an on center motor? Mine will run if I follow all the proceedures for a regular install and then turn it 180 degrees out. It will not run @ TDC #1 plus 24 degrees as an off center does. Am I crazy??? I just cant figure this out.:confused: :confused:

Does the stroke increase affect the setting?

There is no difference, normally. Something else is going on in your situation. Are you absolutely sure you're at TDC on the compression stroke?

Are you using S2 heads? Only ask because it's poss that you're watching intake except exhaust rockers if that's how you're finding TDC.

sensor

I am using the S2 heads and assume the front drvrs rocker is the exhaust. I also removed the plug and there was compression on that stroke. I am running a Gen 7 but assume the basic set up would be the same

Thanks
Bobby:confused:

Re: sensor

Originally posted by bilt2run
I am using the S2 heads and assume the front drvrs rocker is the exhaust. I also removed the plug and there was compression on that stroke. I am running a Gen 7 but assume the basic set up would be the same

Thanks
Bobby:confused:
Try this method! Line up TDC on 1# compression stroke. Position
cam sensor reluctor window towards the power steering pump @ about the 8 oclock position. opposite the reluctor window is the locator tang. Line tang up with cap index notch. This should put you very close to an exact setting. I have used this method for years without fail. A word of caution you can install it backwards & the engine will run but not in sequential mode. I too assume that the Gen 7 program is configured correctly & all the other basics are also.

Originally posted by bilt2run
Is the method for dialing in a cam sensor different for an on center motor? Mine will run if I follow all the proceedures for a regular install and then turn it 180 degrees out. It will not run @ TDC #1 plus 24 degrees as an off center does. Am I crazy??? I just cant figure this out.:confused: :confused:

Does the stroke increase affect the setting?

I wonder if you aren't having some sort of timing issue. Will it run long enough to check the base timing setting to make sure it's accurate? Is this a sequential or bank system? If it's a bank system, the cam sync **really** shouldn't matter. You might post some questions in the ECM forum and see if someone familiar with GEN 7 will reply.

cam sensor

I switched to staged batch and the car ran better (almost normal) Than I reversed the banks in the firing sequence and there was a huge improvement... So it seems as if the car wants to reverse fuel. Would this mean that the cam is installed 180 degrees out?? And if so woud I set the cam sensor to TDC exhaust stroke 24 degrees before TDC on that event. Then put the injector firing order in the computer backwards??????????:confused:

sensor

Or could it just be some FUBAR in the cam sensor???????
Although, it does react properly when attempting to set it with a volt meter..................

Where are your ref pulses (crank sensor) occurring? If you have a BHJ damper for example your ref pulses may be at 5-6 deg BTDC (like mine are), not where the stockers are. The cam sensor signal needs a certain amount of "setup" time and "hold" time to properly mark the crank pulse. So, say if you have it perfectly set in terms of absolute crank degrees, like when using the popular 25 deg of tape method, but also have a BHJ damper with the crank pulses at 5-6 deg BTDC then the actual resulting setting relative to the crank pulse will already be off by the same amount that the BHJ damper is compared to the stock damper. It will likely still work, but at some point you could get it far enough out that it would cause it to lose proper sync. The stock coil module needs both the cam and crank signals (in the proper sequence) to be able to get into sync with the waste spark firing order. Just something to consider.

TurboTR

sensor

I am running the BHJ dampner. Can you run through the dial in for this?
Thanks
Bobby

Back