Cam Sensor

TurboV6Olds

I recently got by car back together and have put about 300 miles on newly rebuilt stroker. I came home about an hour ago and when I started to turn the engine off I heard a pecking noise and popped the hood to check it out. I pin pointed it to the cam sensor. I removed the cap and found that the wheel inside was digging into the cap. Could someone tell me why this started all of a sudden? The car has not been over 5psi boost or over 4000 rpm. What could cause this? Should the cam sensor have a gasket between the cam and sensor? If it had a gasket it would not rub. :mad:

Possible the cam sensor didn't slide down on the pump shaft all the way (binding) forcing the shaft of the cam sensor upward? BTW, No gasket under the cap.

pull your cam sensor out and see if there is any wear on the gear, if so
you might be making to much oil pressure and the pump is creating drag on your cam gear and cam sensor gear, you will have to change the spring in the front cover.

I recently got by car back together and have put about 300 miles on newly rebuilt stroker. I came home about an hour ago and when I started to turn the engine off I heard a pecking noise and popped the hood to check it out. I pin pointed it to the cam sensor. I removed the cap and found that the wheel inside was digging into the cap. Could someone tell me why this started all of a sudden? The car has not been over 5psi boost or over 4000 rpm. What could cause this? Should the cam sensor have a gasket between the cam and sensor? If it had a gasket it would not rub. :mad:

i had the same problem, chased that one for awhile. when driving my engine would act like the ignition was shutting off, very irritating. didnt show any codes either. i dont know what made look into the cam sensor but i saw it was cutting into the cap like yours. i pulled it out and found the bottom of the sensor body had worn so much the shaft had about .250 end ply. i pressed out the roll pin, (this was also cracked) and shimmed with bronze washers to get about .010 endplay and it has been fine ever since. hope this helps. i also bought the cap with the led light to time it. well worth the investment! hope this helps

i had the same problem, chased that one for awhile. when driving my engine would act like the ignition was shutting off, very irritating. didnt show any codes either. i dont know what made look into the cam sensor but i saw it was cutting into the cap like yours. i pulled it out and found the bottom of the sensor body had worn so much the shaft had about .250 end ply. i pressed out the roll pin, (this was also cracked) and shimmed with bronze washers to get about .010 endplay and it has been fine ever since. hope this helps. i also bought the cap with the led light to time it. well worth the investment! hope this helps

Good advice. I just don't recommend running a L.E.D. cap.

GNS performance rebuilds the cam sensors. There's a brass bushing that is a wear item and needs to be replaced over time in these sensors.