You can type here any text you want

Cam / tappet question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, here's my question. I was reading where you shouldn't mix solid lifters for cams made to use hydraulic lifters, and vice versa. Something about how lifters digging into stuff they shouldn't be. Yea... Can anyone get some lifters, and with a pencil, point to me where they're talking about, and post a picture of it on here? :)

Oh yea, one more thing. I hear that solid lifters are for enthusiasts, and hydraulic lifters are for the wife's car. They say that solid lifters produce more power. I'm not really seeing that they produce that much more power. Are they worth it?

Ok, here's my question. I was reading where you shouldn't mix solid lifters for cams made to use hydraulic lifters, and vice versa. Something about how lifters digging into stuff they shouldn't be. Yea... Can anyone get some lifters, and with a pencil, point to me where they're talking about, and post a picture of it on here? :)

Oh yea, one more thing. I hear that solid lifters are for enthusiasts, and hydraulic lifters are for the wife's car. They say that solid lifters produce more power. I'm not really seeing that they produce that much more power. Are they worth it?

using a flat lifter on a roller profile cam results in a lift curve (area under the curve) that is much greater than the same cam with a roller lifter-----------also roller cams do not have the lobe taper that forces the flat lifter to rotate each time is is activated to prevent galling---------flat tappets on a roller cam??? its a recipe for disaster............RC

I think he was asking about using a flat tappet lifter on a flat tappet cam Rich. We've used some of the solid flat tappet cams with hydrolic lifters with some success but it can get a little rough. If it's not made for a hydrolic lifter you will eventually have problems. The ramp speed is different as well as the profile.

I think he was asking about using a flat tappet lifter on a flat tappet cam Rich. We've used some of the solid flat tappet cams with hydrolic lifters with some success but it can get a little rough. If it's not made for a hydrolic lifter you will eventually have problems. The ramp speed is different as well as the profile.

sorry-------------i guess i read that a little too fast

Here is a different approach. Take your lifters apart and put a spacer in them to limit the travel to .020-.030. Set your preload at .010.

Your post is a "little" confusing as you are asking unrelated questions, and do not give enough details or information to really give an intelligent answer?

The reason cam companies sell different cam kits - cam, lifters, springs - is so they have matched parts for a certain level of performance that the customer desires.

On performance engines, and especially race builds, not only the cam kit, but all the other support parts need to work in concert with each other.

So to say hydraulics are for the wife's car, and solids are for the enthusiast would not be accurate, since there are many 9 sec. GN's with hydraulic lifters?

The cam/lifters are part of a package to be determined depending on specific performance goals and use.

A specific answer to your question is do NOT mix lifters and cams that are not in accordance with manufactures specs. :)

Your post is a "little" confusing as you are asking unrelated questions, and do not give enough details or information to really give an intelligent answer?

The reason cam companies sell different cam kits - cam, lifters, springs - is so they have matched parts for a certain level of performance that the customer desires.

On performance engines, and especially race builds, not only the cam kit, but all the other support parts need to work in concert with each other.

So to say hydraulics are for the wife's car, and solids are for the enthusiast would not be accurate, since there are many 9 sec. GN's with hydraulic lifters?

The cam/lifters are part of a package to be determined depending on specific performance goals and use.

A specific answer to your question is do NOT mix lifters and cams that are not in accordance with manufactures specs. :)

I'm asking, because I read this:

Mechanical VS Hydraulic Cams What's the Difference - Chevelle Tech

and wanted better clarification.

I'm asking, because I read this:

Mechanical VS Hydraulic Cams What's the Difference - Chevelle Tech

and wanted better clarification.

If you want "better clarification" the valve spring article in the new Hot Rod magazine would give you more and better information. :)

The "bottom line" there is to go with manufacturers recommendations, or kits, as they are designed for specific engines and applications.

If you are building a high performance engine to specific goals, it is best to consult with a person familiar with all the parameters of what you want to accomplish. This could be your engine builder, one or more of the cam companies, or a recognized, experience individual.

My experience has been a combination of all the above. :biggrin:

Back