You can type here any text you want

Cam, turbo, SFC??? (Upgrade plans)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lunkan

Crazy? Me? :-P
I´ve finally got my car running, and is already planning the next upgrades. I´m trying to do some research.

I´m planning on getting a new turbo and a nice camshaft. I´ll also need to install SFC´s.

I´v been thinking about TA-54, as it seem to be just a bolt on. Any ideas?

For SFC´s I´m thinking of the GW´s.

My biggest problem is, I can´t find anything about camshaft´s. I made a search, and the only thing I found was a camkit called rp309g, but I can´t find it anywhere in any online shop.

Current mods are:
ported stock heads with large valves
62mm TB
TA-49
PAC (great stuff Julio)
chip from Eric Marshall
9x11 TC
rebuilt tranny with T-brake and shiftkit
adj. torque arm (not yet installed)
QA1 adj. rear shocks (not yet installed)
RJC Powerplate (just ordered)
Duttweiler neck (just ordered)

The first trip to the track with current mods will be May 15, but I´m thinking ahead and need to save up the money. To start next year will be too late :(

Thoughts and ideas is highly apreciated.
/Andreas

What injectors are you running now?

As for cam, I had the 210/205 and loved it. A little more mid range than stock and it was just like stock at idle.

I had the GW SFC and had no problems. They tucked in nicely and you couldn't see them unless you looked under the car.

I run a 210/205 as well. Reed cams.

And ac delco lifters(ATR).

Remember the TTA rockers are 1.67's ratio. So that puts the lift at .490 which is pretty aggressive for a little cam.

I used south side machine SFC's on mine. You will need to get your THDP cut and shortened for it to fit.

Keep your boost down until you feel comfortable with it. Heads really wake these motors up. As to the turbo, looks like you have the converter already. I would go with a TE61 if I had to do it again. The 54 has some pretty big wheels on it, and a small shaft.. which is why most will get a large shaft turbo when they approach that size.

TE61 is my vote.

I´m not going to put this in now, as I don´t have the funds for it. It´s just research right now.

Where can I find this 210/205? Is there a complete kit with pushrods and lifters?

The only problem with the 210/205 is its noisy due to the ramp design. Kinda sounds like a sewing machine. I know off three others that have used them and not had issue. Maybe its luck??

And... Pearcy actually ran a 210/205 for the longest time. The 206/206 is another good piece. Tho I have my reservations with Comp cam products as of lately.

hth

Originally posted by Lunkan
I´m not going to put this in now, as I don´t have the funds for it. It´s just research right now.

Where can I find this 210/205? Is there a complete kit with pushrods and lifters?

Use the same pushrods. Cam is from http://www.reedcams.com I paid like 97.00 for the cam. ATR sells the original AC Delco lifters. Tell them theyre 66.00 ;) I have not found them cheaper anywhere else.

I can live with the noise as long as it´s not like running open cut-out all day ;)

As for the TE61, what the advantages vs the 54? It seems the 61 whants 3300 stall as minimum. Is it possible to use the adj. wastegate actuator with it? The only price I found on the 61 was $785 + $200 core (I´m not aible to ship my to the states).

I´ve tried to search for anyone who sell the SSM´s but can´t find anyone. The only place who seem to sell SSM stuff is Jegs, but they only have it for the Ford Mudstain... And I can´t locate their webpage.

Originally posted by Razor
The only problem with the 210/205 is its noisy due to the ramp design. Kinda sounds like a sewing machine. I know off three others that have used them and not had issue. Maybe its luck??

And... Pearcy actually ran a 210/205 for the longest time. The 206/206 is another good piece. Tho I have my reservations with Comp cam products as of lately.

hth
Mine wasn't noisy at all. Except for the lifters needing to be pumped up at startup.

I would definitely get stock lifters as I didn't like how mine bled down after sitting.

That cam has been around a long time and is proven to work. I think it was a Ruggles design originally, so that should tell you its been around :)

Ok, thanks for the info.

So it´s possible to use the stock pushrods? No problems with the length?

When You say stock "get stock lifters" I´m getting a bit confused. Is that if the ones in the engine is bad, or what?

I´m using harder springs than stock, but don´t know which ones. They where mounted in the heads I got along with the car (Uffe bought them from this board).

New AC Delco lifters from ATR like Razor did. I didn't and they made noise. The stock lifters don't bleed down as fast as the ones I had.

I believe he's asking whether to change the lifters in the motor when doing the cam. YES! YES! YES! You don't wanna reuse flat tappets with a new cam. Also try GMpartsdirect their prices were fairly low last time I checked.......

That was just what I wanted to know.

Anyone have some adv./disadv. TA54 vs TE61?

Thanks,
/Andreas

Back