Cam upgrade suggestions anyone???

Trannyman95

Hello all, I am new to this forum and fairly new to the Turbo Buicks as far as working on them, but do a lot of work on Series 2 engines and transmission rebuilding. Anyways I have a customers 87 GN and am going through the engine and want to know what a good or favored cam choice would be. I have a handful of friends with these cars but I never kept track of who was running what. This is a street car that needs to have street manors and good drivability, Im not looking for an all out race cam just a good upgrade since the engine is apart and the cam will be replaced anyways. The car has a 60 series turbo, 3000 stall converter, stock 3.42 gears, flow plate on intake, front mount intercooler, larger injectors, upgraded fuel pump and hot wire kit. Tuning is not a problem either. I am just looking for suggestions of a good all around cam. The heads are still stock and have Comp #980 springs installed. The car also has a 3" downpipe, ported manifolds and an aftermarket crossover pipe. I hope this is enough information, thanks in advance for the help!

Dave

i think a 206/206 or a 208/208 will work well. these will give great street manners but will give you that little extra power.

Well we ended up ordering a X-1 cam, 206-212 duration @ .050 I believe and pretty tame lift. New comp 980 springs went on the car less than 1K miles ago also. Will these springs work OK and also what should I do about the timing chain with this cam? Im not looking to spend a ton for high end parts just want something reliable and didnt know if a stock type chain would be ok or not. I would really like to have the car running in the next few days and dont have much time to wait on stuff as this project was delay nearly 2 weeks because of the cam being on backorder and simply dont have the space to keep letting the car sit. Thanks again for anyone who can help.

does but im sure it wouldnt take much to clean it up real nice.

Here is a nice clean motor with the same setup just done :biggrin:

Attachments

• rsz_1rsz_P1010017.jpg
    rsz_1rsz_P1010017.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 136
and it cleaned up real good.

BTW
sorry to have offend you guys with a picture of a dirty engine LOL. at least i tried to help the Dude out.
next time i'll wash the picture before i post it up :biggrin:
David