You can type here any text you want

Camshaft specs for low 9 to mid 9 second 1/4 mile

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Hey guys,

I am curious about your camshaft specs are with you guys that run low 9 to mid 9 second 1/4 mile TurboGN/Regals?

If you guys could post your camshaft specs & 1/4 mile times,this would help me choose a camshaft.:cool:

Thank you.

Rick

The specs are Top Secret!

I am not asking for there exact combination.

Even posting cam specs that are of a general area of numbers would be fine.

Just curious because the camashaft I have has 240 degrees duration @ .050 & a lobe center of 116 w/.600 lift.

I am just wondering if the cam I have is overboard in the duration department to run in the 9 second passes.?

regards,

Rick

I am not asking for there exact combination.

Even posting cam specs that are of a general area of numbers would be fine.

Just curious because the camashaft I have has 240 degrees duration @ .050 & a lobe center of 116 w/.600 lift.

I am just wondering if the cam I have is overboard in the duration department to run in the 9 second passes.?

regards,

Rick

What size is the Turbo? Engine size?

What size is the Turbo? Engine size?

Turbo I am thinking about is a Turbonetics Super T-76. "S" trim.

Not sure what turbine trim will work good?

Also ,not sure on the A/R for the turbine housing? Maybe a .84 or larger?

Stall I am considering is 3500,,,, & 4000w/trans brake. Good,or off on that stall???

Engine size is 254 C.I.
4" downpie & single exhaust.
I am hoping to get the car down to 2800 LBS,w/no driver.

Any input ,,is greatly appreciated.:cool:

Rick

Turbo I am thinking about is a Turbonetics Super T-76. "S" trim.

Not sure what turbine trim will work good?

Also ,not sure on the A/R for the turbine housing? Maybe a .84 or larger?

Stall I am considering is 3500,,,, & 4000w/trans brake. Good,or off on that stall???

Engine size is 254 C.I.
4" downpie & single exhaust.
I am hoping to get the car down to 2800 LBS,w/no driver.

Any input ,,is greatly appreciated.:cool:

Rick

Hyd roller?? solid roller??

Opinion : I think its big for the turbo used but it will work. That cam is 7500+ cam IMO

Way to big IMO,stay with something in the low 230s solid.
A hydraulica has been known to get it done.
I went 9.40s with a 224 hydraulic and a PTE 76 GTS

If it's strictly a race car, that combination will get the job done. A little much for the street, but it would be a bitchin ride. If you already have that cam, use it.

Otto's correct about the power range. A good shift point will end up between 6700 to 7200 rpm. Should pull even higher. Make sure the valve train is setup for that rpm. Your stall target range of 3500 to 4000 sounds good. Don't know much about the new T4 turbine wheels. I would imagine the .82 a/r would be the lowest you should go.

A well known TSM racer has gone low 9's with an "off the shelf" hydraulic roller. Not even a billet roller.

Way to big IMO,stay with something in the low 230s solid.
A hydraulica has been known to get it done.
I went 9.40s with a 224 hydraulic and a PTE 76 GTS

A well known TSM racer has gone low 9's with an "off the shelf" hydraulic roller. Not even a billet roller.

I ran consistant 9.40s - 9.50s with low boost this year in TSM with a hydralic roller cam that is under 230 duration and when I turned the boost up it went alot faster..:eek: Call a good engine builder that knows these engine and head design and go with what they suggest.

Trying to do more work with less duration. I hope you guys know what you're doing with cylinder pressures. If you don't have a very experienced tuner helping you out, you'd better have a zipper on those heads.

Trying to do more work with less duration. I hope you guys know what you're doing with cylinder pressures. If you don't have a very experienced tuner helping you out, you'd better have a zipper on those heads.

You are correct Don! Cylinder pressures are high but I didn't have a head gasket failure this year because I played it safe and just ran the numbers I needed to run at lower boost. I only have 8 head studs also..No extra bolts/clamps needed when the tune is right.

Now if I put it on 28-30psi of boost on it, it probably would push the gaskets out because of the cylinder pressure.

Me and Cal do the tuning..

There is a safer way to do 9s. Don't you feel that achieving low nines that way is running it a bit on the edge? Is everyone going to have Cal at his side to make sure they don't push the tuneup a little too much? I mean, I'm sure Cal wouldn't mind that, but really. Let's be realistic. Running low duration is a great way to get a quick spool, but the restrictions that are put on you because of it.

Maybe great for a class racer that can take the time to watch his tuneup carefully, but I think for the average Joe, there should be some cushion for tuneup error built in.

There is a safer way to do 9s. Don't you feel that achieving low nines that way is running it a bit on the edge? Is everyone going to have Cal at his side to make sure they don't push the tuneup a little too much? I mean, I'm sure Cal wouldn't mind that, but really. Let's be realistic. Running low duration is a great way to get a quick spool, but the restrictions that are put on you because of it.

Maybe great for a class racer that can take the time to watch his tuneup carefully, but I think for the average Joe, there should be some cushion for tuneup error built in.

Well, I've been as high as 34psi when I made a mistake on the wastegate setup without any issues so there is some cushion there. I just didn't want to push it any harder than that..

Thanks guys,

what do you guys think about having the 116 lobe separation?

Does anyone use that wide of lobe separation w/success?

Rick

Dont just be concerned with durations on the camshaft with cylinder pressures. Just because its a smaller duration that does not necessarily mean higher cylinder pressures. Timing events lobe separation all play a part. If you have alot of head (air flow) u need less assist from the cam duration wise. Same goes for the goes for the turbo. Same goes for the compression ratio. These all have to be considered when worried about how hard you can push it. Duration does play a big part in the rpm operational range and where you like to make the power.

Back