You can type here any text you want

Camshaft specs for low 9 to mid 9 second 1/4 mile

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Thanks bison,

I am thinking of running a Turbonetics Super T-76 "s" trim turbine wheel T4 w/a .81 A/R IIRC I m thinking I would need a stall of 3500-3600. 4L85E
Super T-Series | www.TurboneticsInc.com - Boosting Since 1978 | turbochargers, intercoolers, wastegates, blow-off valves, controls, boosting systems, turbo kits, forced induction parts & accessories

Who sells Turbonetics products @ the best price?
:cool:

If thats a journal you will need more than 3500 for decent response. More like 4000. Be sure it has the full size ex turbine which i think it does since t-netics doesnt offer any turbos with cut turbines except the ones that use an s trim in the 3 bolt housing. Imo you will still hit backpressure at 145+mph if you run it that hard.

The turbo is a BB.
The .81 housing is for a street car.
There turbine wheel is supposed to flow really good & has only 10 blades.

Not sure if the car will run 145+ ,but that MPH sounds about correct.

Well when you run a mid/low 9 in a Buick street car with a 28" tire, you're also running into the 7000+ rpm range at 140-145+ mph trap speeds. Generally you just can't do that speed by tractoring through the traps at 6000 rpm on a small hyd cam. As usual, the camshaft should be sized and configured appropriately to fit the desired use (and is generally a solid lifter by that engine speed range).

I found a 242/114 solid roller to work fine on a hot turbo street/strip GN application. A bit smaller would also work; so would a bit larger for a mid/low 9's effort. 160 lb inj, so-so heads (ported GN1R), 4.5L, the rest of the works. Started out with a 224/110 solid roller leftover from the 10 sec efforts. Sure, it ran ok, went 10.28 @ 138 on like it's 2nd test pass in fact (lol):

YouTube - TK 87 Turbo Buick test 2 at SAR 07/02

YouTube - TK 87 Turbo Buick at Austin vs SA SAR 072602

But we could do better. The bigger cam dropped max boost some ~ 4+ lbs (76 turbo would only make ~ 26 lbs max then), and raised the power and performance level considerably. It didn't make the engine unstreetable either IMO; still ran clean and smooth, but now with just a bit of an aggressive lope :) In the grand scheme of things, even a 242 is not really a wild cam.

TurboTR

Well when you run a mid/low 9 in a Buick street car with a 28" tire, you're also running into the 7000+ rpm range at 140-145+ mph trap speeds.

Ive seen overcamming with excess backpressure really kill the 330' and the engine cant make up the difference up top. If he was goign with a large frame turbo with very low backpressure more cam will work ok but it takes a lot of rpm/boost to swallow it. If your at 7000 rpm at 145mph and 28" tire with 3.42 gears you have a converter issue. Imo you should not be over 6500@145mph.

The turbo is a BB.
The .81 housing is for a street car.
There turbine wheel is supposed to flow really good & has only 10 blades.

Not sure if the car will run 145+ ,but that MPH sounds about correct.

Th ex wheel should be the same as a Precision GTS/HPS. I believe someone went about 158mph or maybe faster with a 76 GTS. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. You should be tageting over 145mph for sure with those parts.

Th ex wheel should be the same as a Precision GTS/HPS. I believe someone went about 158mph or maybe faster with a 76 GTS. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. You should be tageting over 145mph for sure with those parts.

With the mph & trap speed of 158 MPH, how much does a car like this weigh?

Also, for the most part,,,how much does a T-type or GN weigh that is running mid to low 9's?
I am sure weight will very, but how much do you guys typically get the cars weigh down to?

Are a lot under 3000 lbs no driver?:cool:
Thank you.

I have to take TurboTRs side on this one. If the target is 158 mph with a small duration cam, less rpm, taller gears, and a small tire, that is going to require a very high level of peak cylinder pressure in the peak torque range. If you're running 4 bolts for each cylinder, you'd better have the tuneup right on, or a good zipper on those heads.

With the mph & trap speed of 158 MPH, how much does a car like this weigh?

Also, for the most part,,,how much does a T-type or GN weigh that is running mid to low 9's?
I am sure weight will very, but how much do you guys typically get the cars weigh down to?

Are a lot under 3000 lbs no driver?:cool:
Thank you.
I wish i could recall who went 158mph. I think Gary Harmon went 160+ with a 4276 but thats a different turbo. Several have gone around 150 with it on conservative tunes and over 3400lbs with a 76 GTS. OttoJ went 148 with a 76GTS about 4 years ago and the converter was a piece of junk giving up a lot out the back. All class racers have to hit the scales after a pass at an event for it to be legal.They are all over 3400lbs. Some are over 3500. TSM is flying at 3550lbs still running stock blocks and 3 bolt turbos. Don Cruz has gone 8.89? TSM legal. Jason White has gone 9.0? with a hyd cam. Both ran tiny 3 bolt turbos. Weight reduction on those cars would put them solidly in the 8's every pass. For the most part they are all heavy.If you want to go over 155mph id be building it around a different turbo for sure unless you are going to be at 3000lbs.

If the target is 158 mph with a small duration cam, less rpm, taller gears, and a small tire, that is going to require a very high level of peak cylinder pressure in the peak torque range. If you're running 4 bolts for each cylinder, you'd better have the tuneup right on, or a good zipper on those heads.

What are you saying is a small duration camshaft is? Specs please.:wink: I am running 4 bolts per cylinder (1/2 inch bolts)

. Weight reduction on those cars would put them solidly in the 8's every pass. For the most part they are all heavy.If you want to go over 155mph id be building it around a different turbo for sure unless you are going to be at 3000lbs.

Thanks,

I am pretty sure I will be @ or under 3000 lbs.

Back