Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

dhy808

While poking around under my car I found this. Appears to be some kind of sensor that reads rotation of the drive shaft? There is a disc wired onto the drive shaft and what appears to be a pick up on a bracket mounted onto the floor pan. There is a 2 wire feed (looks like speaker wire) I haven't had time to trace the wires yet.

Attachments

• 20190705_152217 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20190705_152217 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 20190705_152831 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20190705_152831 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    278 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190705_152848_HDR (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20190705_152848_HDR (FILEminimizer).jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 20190705_152912 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20190705_152912 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 20190705_152948 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    20190705_152948 (FILEminimizer).jpg
    212 KB · Views: 150
Obviously not factory so what would this be driving? No aftermarket tach, speedo, etc.

Reminds me of a wireless speedometer-mileage unit on a bike. Wheres the other end of the wire lead?

While poking around under my car I found this. Appears to be some kind of sensor that reads rotation of the drive shaft? There is a disc wired onto the drive shaft and what appears to be a pick up on a bracket mounted onto the floor pan. There is a 2 wire feed (looks like speaker wire) I haven't had time to trace the wires yet.
I installed aftermarket cruise controls that used something like this when I worked for Sears Auto in the late seventies to mid eighties.

I haven't had time to trace the wire yet but the car has no aftermarket accessories like cruise control or anything that would require monitoring driveshaft revolution. Only has aftermarket oil pressure, water temp, and boost gauges. I installed a Scanmaster G so I know its not that. I guess that I have to go trace wires this weekend and see where it leads. Interesting mystery!

what it is is not a mystery. It's a shaft speed sensor.

Where it plugs in is the mystery. I'm going to venture a guess that it's currently nothing. Whatever was using it was removed from the car before you assumed possession.

In any case, remove it. It's crap.

what it is is not a mystery. It's a shaft speed sensor.

Where it plugs in is the mystery. I'm going to venture a guess that it's currently nothing. Whatever was using it was removed from the car before you assumed possession.

In any case, remove it. It's crap.
Appears to be a shabby poor install.

To the OP. It seems strange you didn't notice this sort of thing when you purchased your car. It's a pretty obvious feature to be asked about before the sale.

It is a shabby install. I tend to look for the major condition and problems. I've seen a lot of "Mickey Mouse" mods in my time. Most can be easily rectified or removed.

Great photos I needed those for my build, can you post some on his the down pipe. Like to see how it clears or how close it is to the trans lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk