Can I turn a 83 motor into an 87

I do respect you by making that statement based upon your opinion, not what you have experienced, but you also have also dis-regarded how it will be actually used?

Unless I had a bunch of spares, I would not build a twin-turbo engine with any production V-6 block. ;)
Nor would I. That's why I used a stage motor. My mistake is I should have used an even better stage motor. That's my point.

Very few people seem to know how far they will go with there build. How many times have I heard "I only wan't to go 11's". Yea, right! Next thing they are doing is running in the 9's with a ticking time bomb.

Stepping into the 9's costs Sooooooooo much more money that most can afford. Building a 11.5 car is more than most on here have done. I run a twin turbo 109 block with stock crank and rods. Is it a 8 second ride? Nope. But it isn't a cookie cutter Buick, either. I have built 4.1 Stage I engines and had to install Darton sleeves in two cylinders. I have also built Stage II on center engines that haul the mail.
For a typical street car, an 83 block will hold up as good as a 109 block.
Would I pay $300 for an '83 block? Hell no!

Nor would I. That's why I used a stage motor. My mistake is I should have used an even better stage motor. That's my point.

Very few people seem to know how far they will go with there build. How many times have I heard "I only wan't to go 11's". Yea, right! Next thing they are doing is running in the 9's with a ticking time bomb.

No truer words could be spoken! That is soooo true.... I wish I had the money back that I spent before Nick Micale built my TA Stroker motor. I could have had two TA stoker motors built had I done the proper research in the first place.

went 10.97 stock long block
this motor will go high 8's easy

pretty much same amount as ring bearings good heads T@D rockers on stock block

I think it would be cheaper to sell the car and buy a GN, rather then to try and swap over from scratch. Assuming you could purchase a drop-in turnkey setup, wiring harness, computer, engine mts, headers, d/p, etc, You're looking at $3500.00 at the very least. Not counting the man-hours and trans, drive shaft, etc. Arguing the best blocks is a mute point if the OP doesn't have the $$$/time/knowledge to invest in the project, however the great discussion it has created. For the OP to piece -meal his ambition together would cost him 6k+ or to go w/Charlie's good suggestion of using a 3800 block, would be at the least 6k.!!!? w/all the planets and the blood moon in align!:eek: OP, sell and buy a GN(y)
Something to consider w/the 83(I still have mine from my 83 1/2,bought new T-type) The valley, like the 4.1, is porous(not totally solid) like the 109's/ sg-1's. and supposedly there was a metallurgical change after 83 to strengthen the blocks by 5%+/-?

Three pages of discussion over something that will never happen. FWIW, the motor in mine is a 83 that I dug out of a scrap trailer. Been in there for close to a decade. Got 2 more 85s. You guys can have all the 109s and send me those "junk" engines.

Three pages of discussion over something that will never happen. FWIW, the motor in mine is a 83 that I dug out of a scrap trailer. Been in there for close to a decade. Got 2 more 85s. You guys can have all the 109s and send me those "junk" engines.

"109 blocks roundhouse kick early blocks right in the %$#&'n mouth." - Amiri King