You can type here any text you want

cant prime oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kevin

just rebuilt my motor and cannot get the pump to prime.tried vasoline,oil in filter,i dont have the cooler lines so i cant put oil in lines,took pan back off and checked screen its ok,took the screen off and blew air in the block and air came out in front with the filter off.even tried a diff. oil pump,anyone have any ideas?

are you using a drill? is it powerful enough? i used an 18 volt dewalt. worked great

refill filter until it wont take anymore and install , make sure theres oil in pan if cam sensor is already installled and setup pull cam sensor cap and mark so it goes back where it was , pull the cam sensor and prime using a priming tool and a drill spinning clockwise

yes and i put new spring and gears.i pulled it off and put another pump on off my other car

are you sure the pump to oil adapter gasket is on correct and not upside down ?

turning it clock wise,gasket is correct,i'll look again,has to be sucking air somewhere,i think,i know its driving me crazy

Did you tap the ft oil galleys? If so, and you screwed the plugs in too far, you'll have "issues"..

no i didnt,i blew a head gasket and decided to rebuild,had good oil press. before

Are you sure that your oil priming tool has engaged into the slot on top of the oil pump gear? I would think you would have to have a pretty bad leak not to be able to prime the pump even with vasoline packed into the gears.

Do you have the oil adapter to put on just temporarily so you could pour some oil down? Also you mentioned changing oil pump gears, did you clearance the pump and check end play? I found that the gasket that is in the oil pump kits is too thick to get the proper clearance.

I had this very same problem before in the past. Spent hours trying to prime the pump with no luck. I know you said you used vasoline, but what I did was unscrew the oil pressure spring bolt and packed it with tons of vasoline and used a compressor to blow it into the front cover. I struggled with this for an entire weekend. The crappy part was the motor was inside the car so priming it was not the most comfortable feeling leaning over the fenders. But after I packed it good with vasoline it took the prime and I felt the drag on my drill.

I had this problem with my car last month i took the oil filter off and pressed the bypass valve with my finger it is under the nut that filter screws on to then primed it the normal way and it worked.

just rebuilt my motor and cannot get the pump to prime.tried vasoline,oil in filter,i dont have the cooler lines so i cant put oil in lines,took pan back off and checked screen its ok,took the screen off and blew air in the block and air came out in front with the filter off.even tried a diff. oil pump,anyone have any ideas?

With oil in the filter run the drill in reverse for a couple of seconds.Should force the trapped air back out the pick up tube.Then run it clock wise.Worked for me . Good luck.

thanks,i didnt clearance the gears,how do you do that.is there a place to get the proper gasket?

Back