cant spool up?? convertor??

1985GN

Breaking parts
ok guys i cant get my car to spool up at the line. brand new header, not running rish but i have had a new tranny and problems with some past ones. when i spool up at hte line it goes up to about 1500 and wont go any higher, and i get abou 2 psi if im lucky but when i get on it out of the hole it doesnt go anywhere then spools up real quick at takes off. i was getting 2.3 60ft's casue of this thing before. im thinking hte guy gave me the wrong convertor in this deal. any ideas guys the cars is a bear when i can get hte revs up. i cant even really do a burnout at the lin casue it wont get into boost. htanks

Sounds like a bad converter. I thought I had the same problem, but it turned out to be a leak between the turbo and the header. It took forever to build boost and would only stall to about 2800 rpm with my 3500 AC converter. Fixed the leak, and now its at 2900 almost instantaniously at 1/2 throttle.

yeah no leaks i have all new gaskets and stuff by the header and turbo. im all the way to the floor and it goes to 1500. this problems started all occuring when i started having tranny probs over a year ago. i guess they kepe giving me the wrong stall converotr. time for a 3000

pretty common problem with guys that get tranny/converter work done at shops that don't know a T/R from a Monte Carlo.
They generally get stuck with real tight converters, the type that would go in granny's Cutlass. ;)

I'd suspect you ended up with a tight converter.

When I first got my car years ago it had a similar problem. The guy said the trans had been done, so I just drove it. Being the fastest car I had to date and my first turbo car I just thought it was "turbo lag". I could not spin the tires to save my a**, and this went on for a year. I never had a aftermarket tach so I didn't realize how tight the converter was. I went to get the trans and converter done, and had a modifed D-5 done by deltrans that would turn about 2800 ubder boost. Previous to this the car was running 13.teens @108 with a 2.3 2.4 sixty foot times. With the new converter and a soft launch first time out it went a 1.8X sixty foot and 12.66 on the same street tires. So as with everything else on these cars make sure you get turbo specific parts. The trans has to be done by a place that knows these cars or it will eat itself in no time flat. And for the converter, I see no reason to use anything less then the red-stripe. It's good quality and drives great on the street.