You can type here any text you want

Car Audio For Dummies..... Need Help, PLEASE

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNJimC

Not really Turbo Buick related but overall car audio related. I am dumb when it comes to this stuff. Every car and boat of mine has the stock audio system outside of my GN and the only reason it is aftermarket is because that is the way I bought it.

Anyways, My wife wants a new system in her BMW. Like I said, I have no clue about this stuff. I dread going to a big box store and asking some 18 year old kid, who may have a 74 pinto, and what is cool to him may be stupid for me or what I need. Also, I hate to go to a specialty store because I have no friggin idea what to even ask for and I dont need to spend $$ on stuff I dont need.

I can try to describe what I want to do, but I rather just talk to someone the old fashioned way, on the phone so I can ask questions, describe what I want etc.

Does anyone recomend someone I can call that would be willing to help a fellow TR owner out?

Thanks

Jim

Be real careful whom you deal with. I you have no experience with car stereo installation a BMW is the car to start with.

If you live in a big town there should be many shops. I would find out who's been in business the longest and deals in high in products. Get prices first. Might not be a bad idea to contact the better business bureua these guys get complaints alot becuase of faulty work!

First, what year and model is the car? What is your budget and what are you looking to do? I can sell you whatever you need as well.

I have been doing installs for 16 years and can walk you through anything you need to know. Here is where I work, Auto Sound - Welcome!

First, what year and model is the car? What is your budget and what are you looking to do? I can sell you whatever you need as well.

I have been doing installs for 16 years and can walk you through anything you need to know. Here is where I work, Auto Sound - Welcome!

if i give you a part # for a radio could you try and give me a price.
Dave

Where do you live?

Where do you live? I live (obviously) in Atlanta and I can recommend an excellent installer who also can give you recommendations on what you need.

What I learnt from my buying and install experience: The more speakers, the better

Different head units at the same price can sound radically different

A sub adds a lot to your sound even if you never think you would want one.

Don't waste too much money purchasing way expensive components for a car which won't handle the sound. If the car (i.e. the turbo regal) buzzes and rattles and has a lot of wind noise, it isn't worth spending really big big bucks.

Listen to different systems to find out what you like before you buy and don't let some smooth talking kid pressure you into buying anything.

Dont go cheap, and better quality beats quantity everytime. I have had cars w/ 20+ speakers in them, all sponsored "high end" equipment from manufacturers that didnt do what some of my 6 or 8 speaker sound quality systems did as far as accuracy tonal, staging, and imaging.
In a "wife car" buy a reputable set of OEM location speakers, give them plenty of power, and maybe a 10" sub to make it come alive.
The best advice, is read alot, and listen to alot. Things sound diff to your ears than to mine.
Ironically, regals get trashed for being not tollerant to good sound, No one bothered to tell Richard Clark or Gary Biggs this I suppose. (Dont know them? Google them)

Dont go cheap, and better quality beats quantity everytime. I have had cars w/ 20+ speakers in them, all sponsored "high end" equipment from manufacturers that didnt do what some of my 6 or 8 speaker sound quality systems did as far as accuracy tonal, staging, and imaging.
In a "wife car" buy a reputable set of OEM location speakers, give them plenty of power, and maybe a 10" sub to make it come alive.
The best advice, is read alot, and listen to alot. Things sound diff to your ears than to mine.
Ironically, regals get trashed for being not tollerant to good sound, No one bothered to tell Richard Clark or Gary Biggs this I suppose. (Dont know them? Google them)

Yeah, Richard Clark's spearker works Buick is a Legend! One of the baddest systems ever built, years ahead of its time. Guess what it only had 6 speakers:eek:

Well, one of the first things I can say, is read my post above (the sticky one). A car audio shop can suggest things till they are blue in the face. The more you know about what you want, the better they can help you.
Why does the car need a new system? Things worn out, not working right? Or is there something thats missing, (ie, Bass response, highs, clarity, etc.) Thats the first question.
Then, what music do you listen to, what are your musical tastes...
How good of an ear do you have for music? Some people cant tell the difference between a factory speaker setup and a good aftermarket install. If you cant hear the quality that comes with the price, then you can get away with less.

Learn a little bit about car audio. It will help you to decide whats important. If you understand what signal to noise ratios, sensitivity, frequency response all means, you can find out how they affect your choices.

Another thing about audio shops, dont expect the speakers on the wall to sound the same way in your car. Because they wont. The wall in a shop is setup to direct the sound right to you, but car speakers arent directed at you, and will sound different installed in a car.

If you have a favorite disc or songs that you listen to, take it with you when you audtion systems and speakers. If you are familiar with the material being played, you can better hear the differences.

Lastly, listen to other peoples systems. Look around and see what you like, and listen to some systems that are already in a car.

As far as a BMW, I have no experience with them, so I cant make any recommendations, but you might want to check on some boards for them, people there might have some luck in that respect.

Thanks to all of the replies and PM's. I got it figured out. What she wanted was a CD player in her BMW. Hers did not have the factory installed changer in the trunk. Bypassed CD's all together, went with a device that will allow her to play use her Ipod through the existing system. It is "plug and play" so simple for me, and I can take it out and move from car to car and on our boats as well.

Thanks again

Back