You can type here any text you want

car cranks but won't start

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Crazyx4

i was at the track yesterday, sitting in the staging lane ready to make a pass. i had made three runs already. car was turned off. it was my turn to run so i tried to start the car. it would crank and try to run but die. checked fuel pressure,fuses, etc. i had ran the cooling fan with a toggle switch with the key off to cool the car. the cooling fan relay is bad but there is two more relays with it. i don't know what they are? i checked the car today and it will crank but it doesn't try to run. with the xfi i can't read any codes. crank sensor,coil pack,cam sensor? i did check the cam sensor with the tool it looks like it is working.

All you have to do is see if your getting an rpm signal on the fast dashboard when cranking, If not then the ecu is not getting a crank pulse. You should check for spark, You don;t even need a ecu in the car to check for spark, maybe the crank sensor died.

the cooling fan would run normal. i was running the fan to cool the water in the rad.for about 5min., start the car to circulate the water, let it idle for 15 sec. turn the engine off. repeat

took the #1 spark plug wire off put a plug in it. looks like i don't have any spark.

If you have a crank signal and no spark, it's not the XFI. I would crank the engine and see if the cam light is flashing on the XFI? If not, replace cam sensor. If it is I would borrow a module/coilpack from someone.

The cam light should be flashing slower than the points. Either way, if you have a cam and crank signal, the CCCI should fire the coil and you should have spark. If you are 100% sure you don't have spark, I would suspect module.

just so happens my brother had the coil and module off his car, his engine is being rebuilt. changed them out and it fired up. thanks again for the help. its nice to have this kind of knowledge at your fingertips!!!

Back