You can type here any text you want

Car Stalling, Fuel Pump Hotwire Hot

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Haydenm23

I had my 87 stall twice today while driving. Noticed the Hotwire for the fuel pump was very hot and am concerned that it may be the fuel pump pulling too much current for whatever reason. I believe it has a walbro pump in it and wanted to know if anyone with a clamp on amp meter could check to see what kind of current their pump is pulling. Was able to get it started after opening the gas cap the first time and by pouring cold water on the wire the second time.

Update....seems to be an issue when the AC is on...Fuel pump seems unusually loud as well

Another update...right before Stalling, fuel pressure drops to 10-15 psi at the rail. At stall it goes to about 5 or less....try to restart it at that point and nothing. If I wait a few minutes, the fuel pressure gradually creeps back up to 30 psi withe the ignition off. At that point, when I turn the key to the on position, it will read close to 40 psi, then it will fire right up when I turn the key to the start position....any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It could be a bad ground causing the resistance. Lower the tank and check the ground connection at the top of the fuel pump hanger and work your way forward in the fuel pump harness connections checking for good ground. If that is not it, from all those symptoms, it sounds like the fuel pump is on it's way out: heavy current draw, dropping fuel pressure, loud operation.

Also check the bulk head connector at the top of the tank where the intermediate harness plugs in , they burn up there !!

If you're going to drop the tank to look you might as well have a new pump ready to go in.

If you're going to drop the tank to look you might as well have a new pump ready to go in.

X2 ... Put a new pump in it and update the wiring while your there .. Then you know your all set

Thank you for the replies....My Fuel Pump must know that I have 17 gallons in the tank. Going to try to do some driving with the AC off as the weather allows which will only be nights and early morning because of the 110 degree weather we have forcasted for the next three months.

Back