Car won't start!!!???

WhiskeyGN

I was driving yesterday and the oil/choke light and SES light came on so I pulled over to check the oil and the car wouldn't start back up. The scanmaster ran "bad cam sensor" code so I swapped out the cam sensor, coil pack and ecm and it still won't start!

The ECM might holds the code and prevent from starting until repaired is made, so disconnect the battery and also disconnect the orange wire behind the battery. Wait for about a few minutes, reconnect all and try to start the engine. Post back if started or not

Is there some kind of oil sensor/oil pressure switch that would prevent the car from starting considing the oil light came on before I turned it off?

Do you have an oil pressure gauge (not an idiot light); when you crank the engine do you see some oil pressure numbers?

Lets assume you have no oil pressure for now, I won't start the engine until you install the oil pressure gauge.
After the oil pressure gauge is installed remove the orange wire behind the battery, crank the engine for a few seconds you should see some oil pressure on the gauge. If you don't see any oil pressure turn key off.
I would mark the cam sensor wiring plug location, then remove the cam sensor cap mark the window opening location. Remove the cam sensor and in place use a oil primer tool to see if there is oil pressure on gauge. If no oil pressure is present then start looking into the oil pump pickup tube inside the oil pan, and or the oil pump itself.
Get back to us of your findings

Is there some kind of oil sensor/oil pressure switch that would prevent the car from starting considing the oil light came on before I turned it off?

Only if the fuel pump relay is not working correctly. There is an oil pressure switch in parallel with the fuel pump relay contacts. So either one will operate the fuel pump.

If the fuel pump relay or the relay driver in the ECM goes bad, once the oil pressure is above 4 psi there is a switch that will operate the fuel pump. In a normally operating set up they both supply power to the fuel pump.

But nothing that is deliberately designed to stop the fuel pump in the case of low oil pressure.

RemoveBeforeFlight

No on the gauge but I think I found the problem lol. The challenge now is finding the broken pieces and figuring out why it sheared off in the first place.

Attachments

• 100_0901.JPG
    100_0901.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
No on the gauge but I think I found the problem lol. The challenge now is finding the broken pieces and figuring out why it sheared off in the first place.

OUCH!!!
Now you have your work cut out for you
You have to remove and inspect the oil pan, check the oil pump pickup tube, remove the timing chain cover, and inspect the oil pump to see if its seize.
While you are there replace the timing chain, both sprockets, tensioner, and front seal. You really don't need a high volume oil pump, the one that came the engine works just as good.
When all is assemble, whether you pack Vaseline in the oil pump housing or get a primer tool you still need a oil pressure gauge to see if you got oil pressure before you start the engine. If you don't know this part read this:http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/tchain.html
I almost forgot, check prices for cam sensor replacement, they are expensive.
Keep us posted for your findings

How many miles does your engine have on it? and is that the original cam sensor?

When you begin looking for a new cam sensor don't forget to look on ebay. I bought a spare cam sensor complete with cap a few months ago for $139.00 shipped off ebay.They go for about 3 times that at the local auto parts stores and on ebay also,you just have to look around but you could save hundreds of dollars in doing so.

Good luck with your repairs and hopefully none of the metal shavings from the gear made it to the bearings.

OUCH!!!
Now you have your work cut out for you
You have to remove and inspect the oil pan, check the oil pump pickup tube, remove the timing chain cover, and inspect the oil pump to see if its seize.
While you are there replace the timing chain, both sprockets, tensioner, and front seal. You really don't need a high volume oil pump, the one that came the engine works just as good.
When all is assemble, whether you pack Vaseline in the oil pump housing or get a primer tool you still need a oil pressure gauge to see if you got oil pressure before you start the engine. If you don't know this part read this:http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/tchain.html
I almost forgot, check prices for cam sensor replacement, they are expensive.
Keep us posted for your findings
I also had this in case you need more info
When you get to the picture showing the whole engine you can see what I'm talking about the cam sensor gears riding on the cam sprocket, and also drives the oil pump shaft. Now imagine how much metal shavings there is on the bottom of the timing chain cover and also in the oil pan cover.
When you open this PDF file go to page 29 which start our engine vin.

Attachments

• sec06-a.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 109