Carb info for the turbo design.

I unserstand what you mean about a mechanical version. I should check to make sure the PEVR I have actually works. Only problem is I have no idea where the other side hooks up to as my vacuume diagram makes no sense.

The other side hooks to a thermal operated switch just plug one off.

I'm just happy to find this info, gotta say it's awesome to quit scratching one's ass long enough to do some research and be rewarded with some answers. Trying to address both the timing and carburetor issues on an original 78 LeSabre Sport Coupe and I've discovered the GN is probably easier to tinker with....not many good carb guys around my neighborhood. Thanks for taking the time and effort to do the write up, I appreciate it.

"Charlie your an amazing guy" ! (ALL of you are) !!! I'd like to just give you my 80 and ask ya
to "dazzle me" ... (I know you could get it back up to it's full potential). It's lack of power disgusts me it's so dismal !

Yesterday, I found two Turbo Riviera's ! *Today I'm going to get some PEVR's (and a carb. or two), along with some air inlets / like.
I was surprised to find these in such great shape.

Understood ... I just got back from this "yard" and got an air cleaner assy, PEVR and a waste-gate actuator. This cars almost unrecognizable it's so destroyed ... but the inst. panels intact and gorgeous / (Turbo Dash)! I had ta cut the dist. harness as the controller's inside and totally UN-reachable unless the roofs "peeled off". The others unavailable totally (car). I'm gonna try and get the Carb. next.

I never expected to find this ... I'm told the engine runs and the turbo's still on the thing ... If you know someone whom has a Riv., send them to me and I'll help if I can. *The Turbos TOTALLY different on this car, But all there (less the above things)

Thanks. :)

So Charlie, after reading the info to modify for turbo use, could it be done with an Edelbrock Q-Jet?
Dan
If you wait until the "quote" loads it makes much more sense Dan.;) The E-brock Q-jet will work if you have a E4ME base you can drill for the proper isolated power valve or the original base off a 78-80 turbo Buick or 80 301 TTA. Bolt the bottom on and go with it.:D

I have a bunch of base plates so I started looking at them to see what is needed to do this. The 4 base plates I'm showing are all 4M but for different apps so you won't see much of a difference in them. I highlighted the areas you need to look at. This is normally where the power valve gets a vac signal from in an NA carb, but in the turbo carb this is blocked off. That's what the tube sticking out of the front is for. You have to look at the passeges really carefully to see what I'm talking about. I have two boost carb bases and I only have 1 carb so it will go on another body to make it work. If you want to build one you MUST have an NA 4M carb to do it. You will also need the base off of an E4ME because they don't have the passage for the vac signal to the power valve . Nothing's drilled there which is exactly what you want. The other benifit for this is the fact that the hole to the power valve is started but it's just dimpled so you don't have to worry about figuring out where it goes. You will need to measure where the tube goes on the front of the base and I'll give the measurements for that later as well as the size pipe you need and what drill bit to use. I'll also add the depth of the hole on top so you drill it out without going through the base plate.

Hi Charlie. the base x2 that i have appear to look like the one on the bottom. the rebuild kit is for the 4M selection. i see the mod, thanks. i havn't found the depth, but as long as i don't nik the vally infront of the original power valve hole i should be fine. again thanks.

I have an original base for my '79 engine. Yep, I'll get an E'brock and give this a try.
Thanks
If you wait until the "quote" loads it makes much more sense Dan.;) The E-brock Q-jet will work if you have a E4ME base you can drill for the proper isolated power valve or the original base off a 78-80 turbo Buick or 80 301 TTA. Bolt the bottom on and go with it.:D

IMG_20230924_145420.jpg

since the old pictures are gone, here's my modest contribution: on the picture, the left carburator is a NA quadrajet version; the right one is a non-CCC turbo version, the red arrow points to the extra port mentioned in this thread.

A CCC turbo quadrajet will not have the extra port, but the MAP sensor needs to be connected after the turbo and be able to read from -15psi to +15psi, and the ECU Prom needs to be turbo-specific.

Last edited: