Carbon fiber Experts (need help with a project)

BlownV6

I want to build some small hood scoop type scoops for a VW project Im building. Basically 13" wide x 12" long & maybe 3" tall. How would I go about doing this?? If I make a mold can someone lay the carbon fiber for me??
Curious to know exactly this is done as far as a mold goes. Thanks Mike

i think you can just get some hard foam and shape it how you want it and use that to make a mold, which you then use to make the actual parts.

To make the mold you need to first make a model of the part you want.
What I would do is use foam to make the base of your model, and then sculpt modeling clay to the final shape you desire. The model would be made on your hood to insure you create the correct shape. You need to make sure once the model is made you will be able to pull it off, this is accomplished by creating a die pull angle. For this part I would look at around five degrees to insure it from not sticking to the mold you will now create.

Now that your model is created you need to add a releasing agent, wax to the top surface of the model to help release the mold (of die) you will now create. The mold will be created by applying fiberglass to the model; you will reinforce the mold by creating a combination of fiberglass wrapped around a wood frame of 2X4’s for strength.
Now that you have the mold, you can now create the carbon fiber parts or have an experienced laminator create this for you.

I hope this helps.

What I will add to this is after you make the mold the way you want pour plaster on it. This gives you the original and an outside mold. I've done this before and the plaster made a great mold to make the scoop out of. I got my glass supplies from Noahs marine out of FLA and prefer to use the epoxy rather than the cheaper stuff you get at wally world. I got the epoxy from USComposites that was right across the street, litereally. You can get different hardening rates so you can work with it up to 1 hour of time if you need to.

I was thinking of making the mold out of wood. Say glue some 2 x 12 pieces together and cut , sand shape , etc.
Foam might be easier to work with. Where would I get some foam suitable to do this. What would it be called??
I can look on E-bay for some. Thanks in advance!! Mike