Ceramic Coat a Turbo

aminga

Chicks Dig the powerbulge
Or other parts.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert and this is really the first time I've tried ceramic on a part of any substance. This is how I did the deed. It may not hold up in service in which case I'll update the thread. The directions here are for columbia coatings ceramic.

The victim is a basic TA-49 straight out of PTE's rebuild shop.

PCedTurbo_20100202_001.jpg

We're going to use conventional powder on parts and ceramic on the other. I broke the turbo into two parts. Cold and hot.

Not seen here is the inlet bell. It was pretty clean and since it's a mortal sin to cover up good billet I polished it with some 0000 steel will and hit it with some gloss clear.

For the compressor housing mask off the inlet and the back side because we need to profile the surface just a little to get the powder to hold. I used Aluminum tape.

PCedTurbo_20100202_002.jpg

Using very low pressure (I used 40 psi) and some 80 grit Aluminum oxide media.give the surface some texture. Basically I just knock the shine off of it.

Give the compressor housing a coat of Low temp conventional powder. I used Eastwood Blasted Aluminum for a stock look that will clean up easy

Pic before cure

PCedTurbo_20100202_004.jpg

After Cure and unmasking

PCedTurbo_20100202_006.jpg

Now on to the ceramic. Cleanliness is important here.

I did the turbo and center sections in one piece. Used aluminum tape to mask off the oil inlet and return on the center section. I used regular old AL foil to protect the compressor blades after a little test. The Aluminum tape and foil will survive a low pressure blast in the cabinet if you don't dwell on it and keep the pressures low.

PCedTurbo_20100202_005.jpg

Give the metal parts a light blast (just knock the shine off).

From this point on use rubber gloves.

Take the part out of the cabinet blow it off with clean dry air and heat it for 30 minutes at 400 degrees and let it cool.

While it's cooling Shake your coating up, when you think it's mixed good shake it some more. Keep shaking. If you can sneak into the kitchen use the wife's blender. :eek:

Using either an airbrush or an automotive detail gun (0.8 Tip) apply the ceramic in a single THIN coat. Don't go back and apply it again. If it's covered leave it. This stuff CANNOT be touched up. If you blow it you have to blast it back off and start over.

Allow the part to air dry and then cure per manufacturer's instructions. In my case 30 min at 450 degrees. This will partially cure the coating it will finish curing in service.

This is the result.

The exhaust housing is Cast Iron Ceramic. The compressor is Eastwood blasted Aluminum and the bell is gloss clear. The pictures don't really do the compressor housing justice. The bottom line is ceramic isn't really hard, In some way's it's easier than powder because it applies with normal HVLP equipment. And you can do your own headers, Just keep it to the external surfaces and the worst that can happen is it burns off and you have to do it over again.

PCedTurbo_20100203_005.jpg

Your work looks great!!

I've had a couple turbine housings done by a local company QC Coatings. They finish the process in a vibratory bead polisher. Turns out nice and not too expensive either.

Dave

Your work looks great!!

I've had a couple turbine housings done by a local company QC Coatings. They finish the process in a vibratory bead polisher. Turns out nice and not too expensive either.

Dave

Depends on the coating. Chromes require buffing to bring out the shine and they don't really last.

The stuff I used is Let dry, partial cure, finish the cure in service, Done.

There are some airdry and done ceramics.

The point of this was to show it isn't really that hard to do. And you can save yourself a bit of money in the process.

I've been thinking about doing the very same thing lately. Just got my pistons done to the tune of $200. If I woulda waited it would have cost ~$60 to do it myself with the same stuff.
I might go nuts and do a bunch of stuff. Instead of painting the intake, i think I'm gonna use a satin black coating that is a thermal dispersant. If I have enough left over, do the oil pan. Maybe combustion chambers, but not sure yet. For sure all of the exhaust. And main bearings. I'm re-using a set of rod bearings that look brand new. Untouched. They were out of an engine with 200 9 sec passed and lots of street time. Coatings are where it's at.

Did you use an airbrush or touchup gun? I have a touchup gun, but think I might need an airbrush for the bearings and hard to reach places in the intake. Unless it sprays real fine with a .08.

That's cool, but not looking at powder coating. Each of these coatings has a specific purpose in addition to maintaining appearance.

That's cool, but not looking at powder coating. Each of these coatings has a specific purpose in addition to maintaining appearance.

You are correct Stu. DFL-1 and others are for high load lube, Skirts/bearings/
cam lobes/ valve guides/ stems always do the softer of the 2 metals.

I know LOT and some others have used it to add clearance but theoretically you should build to your specs then disassemble , coat and then burnish back to 0. The material stays in the metal. Should not have to ever do it again.
It can be used for leveling but I do not use it to add. I have and it works but.
not really proper.

Now the tops of pistons iffy injected. The big boys can get away with a lot because they tear down so often and replace so there is not a ton of data to
support longevity on some parts mainly the ceramics internally.

I've been thinking about doing the very same thing lately. Just got my pistons done to the tune of $200. If I woulda waited it would have cost ~$60 to do it myself with the same stuff.
I might go nuts and do a bunch of stuff. Instead of painting the intake, i think I'm gonna use a satin black coating that is a thermal dispersant. If I have enough left over, do the oil pan. Maybe combustion chambers, but not sure yet. For sure all of the exhaust. And main bearings. I'm re-using a set of rod bearings that look brand new. Untouched. They were out of an engine with 200 9 sec passed and lots of street time. Coatings are where it's at.

Did you use an airbrush or touchup gun? I have a touchup gun, but think I might need an airbrush for the bearings and hard to reach places in the intake. Unless it sprays real fine with a .08.

I used a Touch up Gun (SATA minijet) with a 0.8 tip (don't think the ceramic would flow through a .08 tip.:D An airbrush would work you just need it to apply a THIN even coat

Listen to what Ronnie says on the internal parts. I stick to the external because the worst that can happen is it looks bad and I redo it.

One thing to note here if you're doing this yourself. Most home ovens won't get hot enough to fully cure the ceramic. Although mine will get to 675 degrees on Broil with the parts on the upper rack.

When the ceramic is only partially cured it's soft and very easily damaged so protect the parts.

Fully cured in service it's harder than woodpecker lips.

what is the full cure temp for ceramic coating I own several kilns that go to 2800 degrees F one will fit 18 x 36 inch pcs no problem I also can go 6 x 6 x 6 ft in my other two
once temp is meet how long to maintain and cure out parts

reference to bearings..

ceramic coatings, teflon coatings, thermal coatings solutions with Calico Coatings

I'd be very cautious about being (what's the word I'm looking for) smug enough (what the hey) to think about coating engine bearings with the possibility of "DISASTROUS" results that may result.

Jerry Ehlert & Tracy Trotter sell more coated bearing than ANYONE on the planet AND have been doing it for decades..

FYI; there a two coatings used for bearings, both of which have been used for years with excellent results.
For cast cranks Dupont Industrial Teflon.
Moly for everything else... unless you prefer Dupont for your hard material crank..
and the combination of the two for piston skirts.
Yep, I was in the coating business for years.

I don't do my own dentistry either!

Better check the brake fluid.;)

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app