ceramic coating or turbo blanket?

i have also been playing with the idea of a blanket
i like the look of the ceramic coating but just don't think it would work as good as a blanket.

Also how a blanket effect the life of the turbo??
insulating all that heat, would it effect the bearings??? cook the oil???
these are questions that i always wanted to know the answer to.

I was gonna order a blanket but as a hotair a Turbo shield is easy to make also.

I heard you could go find a good Stainless Steal cooking pot. Cut that up a bit, drill few holes for mounting and that will do the same job as a High price shield. IF you go with a blanket, they will work i just stopped myself from commets on RUST issues. I did find a way around that, which is DEI titanium turbo blanket(bit on the high dollar) but should work the best.

If not their DEI universal turbo intallation kit would do ok also. It comes down to looks and function. Wrap will look racing style (Drag), shield stock(street/strip)
Both should funtion great, it's hardware vs "soft"ware IMO.

after talking with Precision Turbo today, they seem to think a turbo blanket is a fine option, as long as you aren't hot-lapping the car all day or running it under higher boost for hours at a time. They also stated that it would not void the warranty or cause cracking to the housing or risk cooking the bearings/oil supply unless you run the turbo at high boost for extended periods of time.

after talking with Precision Turbo today, they seem to think a turbo blanket is a fine option, as long as you aren't hot-lapping the car all day or running it under higher boost for hours at a time. They also stated that it would not void the warranty or cause cracking to the housing or risk cooking the bearings/oil supply unless you run the turbo at high boost for extended periods of time.

If your intention is keeping the heat in the turbo, then a blanket is definitely the way to go. If you want the turbine housing to look good, then jet hot coating is a good option. Coating WILL NOT work half as well at keeping the heat in the turbine housing as a blanket will FOR SURE ( i have done both in a Ford)

Just my $ .02

I've had a turbo blanket before.
They do a great job of keeping the heat in. Personally in the future I will just go to a hot coating. I think if you do the proper coating, it keeps the heat in very well.

Do you just want to have a cooler engine bay? I don't think it will "boost cooler" or "save your turbo" as the ebay guy posted in his ad. I didn't notice any spool improment on my cars.

I'm not expecting this turbo blanket to magically make my car spool quicker or anything like that....just merely trying to keep under the hood temps down so I don't ruin my paint or set a hood pad on fire. Plus, it just kinda weirds me out to have a gallon of methanol sitting a foot away from something that produces 1500 degree heat on a consistant basis.

I'm not expecting this turbo blanket to magically make my car spool quicker or anything like that....just merely trying to keep under the hood temps down so I don't ruin my paint or set a hood pad on fire. Plus, it just kinda weirds me out to have a gallon of methanol sitting a foot away from something that produces 1500 degree heat on a consistant basis.

same exact reasons for me except that my Gallon of methanol is about 8 inches away :eek:and not a foot.
i was also looking at these http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=turbo shield&dds=1 but they are a lot more $$$$

For under hood temps, the blanket, hands down!!!!!!!!!! Honestly i just like the ceramic coating cause it keeps the housing looking good. I just HATE the rusted look.

but if the housing is under a blanket....then who cares what it looks like! I'm a function over looks guy anyway. Plus, when you see a turbo regal at a car show no one knows what the hell they're looking at anyway.

I plan on coating my turbo , headers, & downpipe with Swain Tech White Lightning over the winter. It's much thicker than Jet Hot and because it reduces surface temps so much you can high temp paint it afterwards and it won't peel off . (swaintech.com) I was told that John Force has all his engine parts coated there with all of their different coatings. They are not cheap @ about $140 for the down pipe. :eek: