You can type here any text you want

champion iron heads HELP

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cpac

CPAC
HI ...I am looking to purchase a set of champion iron ported 109 heads....can any body tell me about them ...QUALITY machening.. PERFORMANCE...will they flow enough to go low tens ,backed with proper turbo and cam.etc. ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL.....THANKS

there have been alot of posts on this if you have time to search. Champion has always put quality products out but there are also vendors on this board that can set you up with heads as good if not better then what they sale.

A good set of iron heads will flow enough air to break a stock block. Champion does a real nice job on their stuff. A good turbo will cover up ALOT of "marginal" port work, too. ;) If the price is right for you..........go for it. Just look how fast a stock set of heads can go. They flow terrible numbers from the factory. Keep turning the boost up, and you will keep going faster. Keep upping the turbo size............and you will go faster.:D
The idea of reducing the weight off the front of the car with GN1's or TA aluminum heads is also a good idea, too. The ports on the TA and GN1's are hard to beat with ported irons. It's just a matter of money and how fast you want to go. Stage II heads put them ALL to shame, though. But, you'll need to twist it to 7,000+ before they really come into their own. (Stage II's)

HI ...I am looking to purchase a set of champion iron ported 109 heads....can any body tell me about them ...QUALITY machening.. PERFORMANCE...will they flow enough to go low tens ,backed with proper turbo and cam.etc. ANY INFO WILL BE HELPFUL.....THANKS

Have Tom pin them, only if you want 9's or 10's out if them. :cool:

They have gone 9's in heavy cars. Have them pinned as already stated (used to cost $150 extra). They are the most consistent iron head i have seen form anyone. When you buy your second set of those you know exactly what to expect. Tom's customer service level is excellent also. Be sure to go for the matching intake.

what are you having pinned? Just curious.

The exposed area on the flat part of the head in the cylinder on the intake and exhaust side. The pinning actually deflects the head outward .001 when done. Then they machine the head flat again. After they are done the weak combustion chamber area that usually deflects in 130+mph cars doesnt anymore. My friend melted a cylinder and hammered the rod bearings in an engine of his but the gaskets did not show any signs of compression leaking over them. Gaskets used were cometic and believe it or not there was no re-torque done. Car went as fast as 128mph at 3700+lbs. His heads were pinned.

Hi, newbie with a ???

The exposed area on the flat part of the head in the cylinder on the intake and exhaust side. The pinning actually deflects the head outward .001 when done. Then they machine the head flat again. After they are done the weak combustion chamber area that usually deflects in 130+mph cars doesnt anymore. My friend melted a cylinder and hammered the rod bearings in an engine of his but the gaskets did not show any signs of compression leaking over them. Gaskets used were cometic and believe it or not there was no re-torque done. Car went as fast as 128mph at 3700+lbs. His heads were pinned.

Can this be done to GN1 heads ? Or not necessary on aluminum heads ? Great thread ! Thanks.

Back