Charging volts?

1QWIK6

Torque wins
How many volts are you seeing when driving? What SHOULD you see?

My battery was 10.6 volts (scanmaster) when I went to start it. (It wouldn't start). When I DID get it running, I saw 12.4-13. Someone told me I need to see 14+ for a good charge all the time. Is this true?

Sounds low. The Scanmaster may not be seeing as much voltage as the alternator is, but it still sounds low. You sure your battery does not have a bad cell? Has the SM always read this low?

The battery was @10.6 when I went to start it up. I think I remember seeing 14+ at one time. Is my alt. on the way out?

I would check the battery first to see if it was on it's way out. If you put a known good bat. in and it still isn't pumping out 14+ while running then the alt. is on it's way out. By the way, I've had alternators ruin batterys when they were charging screwy.

my .02

The battery is less than 2 years old. I check the voltage and it was 12.6 (car not running).

Take it to the nearest parts house and get them to throw a load on it just to make sure. Did you check to see what it was while it was running with a voltmeter?

I've went through 2 alternators and many batteries. I've taken it to the local american auto electric place several times. When I start the car the best it sees it 13.5v. After the alternator warms up it usually runs between 12.5 and 13.5.

If your getting 10.6 then you have problems. Does your volt light work? Do you have a digital dash?

These cars are notorious for being battery drainning SOBs. I've fought the problem for years. If the car sat for several days to a week the battery voltage was low. Run a search on this site for battery drain. Should be something. By running an amp meter between the positive cable and positive post on the battery, I was able to determine I had a bad voltage drain. Also, if a test light turns on bright (vs dim) by placing it between the positive cable and Positive battery post you probably have a problem.The timing sensor for turning on the rad. fan was a big drain. I disconnected it. Cutoff switches or accessories you added may be drainning.
:eek: NOW when you run these tests don't have your doors open or be playing the radio.

Quick test, shut all the doors, and disconnect the hood light. Remove the pos. cable. Now touch it back to the battery terminal. You should see no sparks arcing from the pos terminal, to the pos. wire. If no sparks, then get the battery load tested...

What the SM sees and the battery sees are different. My SM also gives mee readings from11-12-13 volts varrying. But if u measure the voltage with a DVM when the car is running the voltage should be in the range of 13-14 volts(this is output of alternator). With the car off it would read between11-12 usually. If your battey is reading lower immediately after driving your car(just to make sure batt is charged) and shutting it off with a DVM, your battery may be going.