Cheap catch can

i made mine for about 20 bucks using coleman propane tank and misc brass drain, fittings etc

it dosent come apart but i can drain it and i have filter on it
bent hard lines for clean look and flared the ends

you will laugh

you guys will laugh at me, and call me a hack, but heres what I did for an overflow bottle for my transmission on the vent hose.

I used a peanut butter jar (clear plastic) cut a hole in the lid and screwed in a brass fitting, hooked my line to this, then I drilled a hole in the side of the jar (it's mounted horizontall w/ zip ties in the frame rail) this hole alows the tranny to breathe, while alowing it to burp fluid w/out spilling any on the track. I've ran this all last summer and havent had any problems, you really cant see it unless you look under the car in the drivers side frame rail. I'll post some pics in a day or 2...

If You Want To Build Your Own Catch Can ,,,cheap And Big ....go To Habour Frieght...item Number O1118

Got any pictures of that Coleman set up? Tank is steel right not aluminum?

catch.jpg

I started with a reg $2.50 propane tank from home depot..the long skinny one then switched over to the short fat coleman tank (steel)

I have the tank mounted up front, the top inlet drops down inside tank while the return is up high with filter. the lines follow under the turbo inlet snake along intake, one line drops down and other bends up to meet the hard vac line with atr check valve in between.
new1.jpg

I just havent found much room in the bay to get a good mount location but I have enough soft line to compensate for any engine movement...i hope

we'll see. i may have to redesign and mount it in front of turbo using the 2 bolts that hold the cover on But i have filter mounted there
TA49.jpg

thanks man, just a trip to home depot, i got a 1/4 inch peice of brake line
010508_13563.jpg
jbweld.jpg

010508_14562.jpg
010508_14561.jpg

010508_13551.jpg

this was first try with the long tank but ive switch over to the stubby and went with 90 degree 3/8 barb elbows and since im a certified jb welder, it went pretty smooth

i did have to make a custom fork from old small flat head to remove the valve from tank, well i just unscrewed it enough and let it sit outside for few hours until it drained then i beat out the valve

pic

here's a pic of my fancy work. Simple, and cheap. this summer I will probably re-do it w/ some other sort of container, I like somthing thats clear so you can see when it's full.

Attachments

• jug.jpg
    jug.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 540
excuse my lack of knowledge...what is the reason for a catch can?and when do we need one?is it it needed after a certain level of up grades?will it benefit a car with minor to no mods?...any info is apreciated thanks gil:biggrin: