Cheap Ebay T3/T4 Turbos

LemansWagon

Before I start I did do a search and couldn't find a thread on this. If there is one just give my the link and I'll go there.

That out of the way, does anybody know anything about the cheap T3/T4 turbos available on ebay? There are a bunch for as little as $129 and look to be new. Considering how much it costs just to rebuild a turbo I find this suspect. If you look at the close up pictures the compressors housings appear to be very poor quality castings. I figure these are chinese knock offs and possibly not worth the $129. I ask because I am making my own T3/T4 hybrids for a TT project but by the time I rebuild the 2 turbos, purchase 1 new T4 wheel, machine one of the compressor housings for the wheel and balance them I will be into them for about $300, which I think is darn cheap for a set of hybrids (I got most of the parts for free). But I can buy two of these for about the same and they come with a better turbine wheel & housing and a nice v-band internal wastegate housing that will fit my aplication better. But I am thinking that I'll end up with a better quality turbo for the same price if I rebuild what I have.

Save your money. This has been discused before and you litterally have to rebuild them when you get them. No quality control and are not quality parts.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Those castings look pretty rough. That's probably why they say "8 psi". The tolerances are likely too loose to support anything higher. I figured I'd be better off with my original T3 & T4 parts.

Now that that's outta the way post pics of your '56 Plymouth:cool:.

The Plym is still in progress. I've finished the sheet metal work and just started trial fitting the hemi last month. I need to make the mounts then start fabbing things like headers, oil pan, brackets, intake etc. If you look at the one pic you can see a Ford COP coil. Imagine 4 of those on each valve cover. That's one of the reasons I am using the 2000 Mustang ECU for the EFI. I think it'll l;ook preety sweet on thos ebig valve covers. Also included is a pic of the intake I plan to make for it that I drew up in solidworks.

Attachments

• IMAGE008.jpg
    IMAGE008.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 641
  • CIMG2039.jpg
    CIMG2039.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 646
  • intake 4inplen.jpg
    intake 4inplen.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 631
  • CIMG3510.jpg
    CIMG3510.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 660
That's friggin sweet. Love that body style.

Could punch myself in the balls for not scratching together $2500 for a nice complete rust free driver '56 Royal Lancer last summer.

Then there was the complete decent shape '50 Dodge business coupe that was down to $1700 bucks...woulda made a sweet gasser...

Believe it or not I only paid $1300 for it although it is a 4 dr sedan. Very little rust, running 54,000 mile car with a 277 V8, PS & PB. Even the head light buckets & floors were solid. Just the usual rocker & trunk rot and some small holes in the fenders & quarters. I have 12" front discs from AAJ for it as well as an explorer 8.8 rear (31 spline axles) also with discs and will be putting a cavalier rack & pinion in it. A LOT of work left to do LOL.

Whatcha got in the Fury that's getting a TT? Bummed I am not at Carlisle this weekend. First time I missed it in 5 years.

The ebay turbos DO in fact work... check The Turbo Forums.com for more info on them, yes they do recomend you rebulid them upon buying them. But they can and do make good power friend of mine is running 8 80s with twin ebay turbos on a LQ9 motor.

Whatcha got in the Fury that's getting a TT? Bummed I am not at Carlisle this weekend. First time I missed it in 5 years.

It's a factory 383/727 console/buckets car.

I rebuilt the stock 383 with the standard TRWs/MP484 in the early 90s when I was in the Marines.

I bought a set of Brodix B1-BS heads a few years ago and the 2.20 intake valves are too big for the 383s bore:rolleyes:.

So I've got a fresh stock rebuild 71 400 w/comp 270(224@.050)cam that's gonna get the Brodix heads and an ancient Torker/Holley 750 and twin stock Gn turbos:cool:.

Then I'll have a decent running forged 383 w/6BBL and a 727 layin around the shop that's gonna hafta find it's way into a 50s Dodge of some kind:D.

Can't let it lay around right?:cool::D

a friend of mine has two ebay turbos on his twin turbo big block chevy truck. they do fine, 2 yrs so far at 15lbs of boost.

Well this explaines sooo much! Hey jarhead, I was an MP busting heads like your's.:biggrin: LOL

Yeah that may explain a few similar philosophies.:D

SGT. 6057 F/A-18 Airframes. '92-'96 MCAS El Toro,USS Constellation,MCAS Miramar.

Yeah that may explain a few similar philosophies.:D

SGT. 6057 F/A-18 Airframes. '92-'96 MCAS El Toro,USS Constellation,MCAS Miramar.

LOL I think we just made friends.:biggrin:

PFC last stationed at Aniston Ala.

It's a factory 383/727 console/buckets car.

I rebuilt the stock 383 with the standard TRWs/MP484 in the early 90s when I was in the Marines.

I bought a set of Brodix B1-BS heads a few years ago and the 2.20 intake valves are too big for the 383s bore:rolleyes:.

So I've got a fresh stock rebuild 71 400 w/comp 270(224@.050)cam that's gonna get the Brodix heads and an ancient Torker/Holley 750 and twin stock Gn turbos:cool:.

Then I'll have a decent running forged 383 w/6BBL and a 727 layin around the shop that's gonna hafta find it's way into a 50s Dodge of some kind:D.

Can't let it lay around right?:cool::D

That'll be real nice. love those old c-bodies. I've been keeping an eye out for one myself. I obviously wouldn'ty mind a b-body but the c's are still afordable LOL.

Yep........ They do work :D my buddy will have his car at the track this weekend with turbos that "dont work" :D

The article actually saved me some time and possibly some money. I'll still be using my own rebuilt turbos but now I know not to bother with the internal wastegate. It'll make it easier to run the exhaust anyway because I won't have to deal with trying to get the angle right on the factory exhaust elbow.

chineese turbos

I have seen alot of these and they are a crap shoot. There are some turbos that last a while. After opening quite a few i can confirm that the quality control is the issue. We found alot if them were not balanced properly. Other had parts missing, and or improperly installed. Also the internal components leave alot to be desired, tolerances are off, etc...Most common issue is oil leaking due to seals. If it were my car, i would not take the chance. I would rather pay a few hundred more and buy a used Garrett, Precision or Turbonetics.