Check pics and give thoughts...

Nasty

empty wallet
I purchased this http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/pa...on+performance and I seem to have a issue. In the pic the #4 piston is at the top. At this location I found what appears to be a crack that start at the upper lip area. At first I though it might have been a piece of lint until I touched it. I rotated the engine slightly to lower the piston and it seems to travel in the block, pretty obvious its more than something just on the surface when the piston is lowered. The pics are bad, but the batteries were dead. I got a bad feeling about it, but figured before I condem it I would ask around.

Nasty

Attachments

• Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 459
  • Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 454
  • Picture 011.jpg
    Picture 011.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 455
that doesn't look good to me. i tried your link and it would not come up..is this a motor you bought? Bob

it sure would be nice to see what the pros say about this. doesnt look good to me. but hell i would probley run it till she lets up or shows signs of something wrong

Is one of those cylinders sleeved? It looks like the adjacent cylinder has a sleeve in it and may have been too tight when installed and cracked the wall on the cylinder next to it.

Is one of those cylinders sleeved? It looks like the adjacent cylinder has a sleeve in it and may have been too tight when installed and cracked the wall on the cylinder next to it.

Wow, sure looks like it. Could be wrong though, still waiting on the experts to chime in:rolleyes:

i would get with Bill A and see what he says. the 4.1 is known for cracks like that on the deck. i have read on here that some people run them like that but it wouldn't last long with my right foot. hope you can get it fixed. Bob

I shot Bill a email and the pics with a pic of the original receipt-maybe he will remember the build. Hope to hear from him and any suggestions as well.

On the turbobuicks site, the first pic shows a faint crack. My eyes could be tricking me though. This has happened to a few local boys around here with 4.1 blocks.:mad:

Yeah it's there

You can see the crack in the pic from other site before you even bought the engine.:(

not good definately a sleeve not enough meat in the block to correct this problem good for a grocery getter but not good for racing just my o2 worth:(

The email I got from Bill was very short.

"Hard to tell from the pictures but if the block were cracked we would not have used it, it was pressure tested and did not leak anywhere.
Thanks,
Bill"

I know the pics are not the best, but good enough to see im my opinion. My best guess it may have cracked after the build (stress from the sleeved cylinder & decking???). I too find it hard to believe it could have been built with the crack, so my imagination leads to believe it stress cracked later??? I do find it odd that he would build a high performance engine with a sleeved block though, but that may be the norm??? I never seen a sleeved block before-NOW I know what what looks like-sigh.

I sent Bill another email about what it would cost to refinish another block and transfer all of the hardware over, but its been a few days and have not heard from him yet. I hope to here back from him soon, and hoping any costs will be affordable.

The seller at first implied like its my problem and seemed he planned to walk away from the sale, as he did nothing to cause the crack, and claims he did not know that crack was there. I offered a alternative to have another block refinished and transfer reassembly (I figured about $1100 plus the block???). I based this off what his receipt from Andersons was for the labor. He is offering $500 to help make things right.

I don't think this is enough, but I will look into trying to obtain a block locally for cheap, wait to here from Bill about costs (hope he gets back to me), and maybe find someone local that has done a few of these-could probally handle it myself but the way my luck has been I am trying to reduce my chances of another screw up.

Any Magna members got a good 4.1L block for sale???

Nasty

4.1 block

wish i had a 4.1 block ....... i'd give it to you. i'm confident that alot of guys in your shoes would be livid. i hope everything works out well for you regarding this matter.
bw jones

You could tell the crack is right where the other cylinder was sleeved. Did you runt he engine at all or you just noticed that during assembly? Either way this will show what type of vender they are on how they handle the situation. Keep us posted, Im interested!

hey Nasty --sorry to hear about your mishap-- but you live and learn ..I am like BW if I had one in the garage I would give to you ...