Chunks in new engine

Ken B. said: "The peices look like cam sensor/distributor gear chunks to me."

X2, here. That's exactly why your engine had no cam sensor in it, when you got it. The P/O had also removed the ft cover, to see what was fubar'd when the engine went nuts, during the break in of the cam.

The factory cam sensor gear is cast iron, not brass. So are all factory distributor gears that I am aware of. If the oil pump siezed, then it could have fractured the cam sensor gear. Although, usually, it just shears the roll pin at the bottom of the sensor.
If the block has been sleeved, then it might also be the lower lip of the cylinder breaking up. I had that happen with a StageI 4.1 recently. The machinist had hammered the sleeve in, and had cracked the register machined at the bottom of the bore. I found it when radiusing the oil passages in the block and happened to look through the cam bearing hole and SAW the piece ready to fall off, into the rotating assembly.:eek: It looked more like a broken piston ring, though. I tapped it with a screw diver (no hammer) and it fell out in two 3" long by .125" "ring" sections.
The peices look like cam sensor/distributor gear chunks to me.

My bad- I bow to your wisdom!