You can type here any text you want

Classic FAST - no spark

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warp6

Mine since '92
I've gone around this thing several times. Adjusted the crank sensor clearance confirmed all the connections - at least I think everything is connected. Got number one plug out and grounded - no spark. I have rpm on the dashboard. Am I missing the obvious? I have some log files but the site won't let me attach them, invalid file?

Yes you are missing something, you don;t even need an ecu in the car to get spark. You do need the crank sensor connected to the module and the cam sensor working to sync the module for the 1st spark. Check for power at the coil pack I think its the 1st terminal towards the front of the car and make sure it has clean grounds.

are you saying if the cam sensor is out of sync it won't spark?

It will still spark if its out of sync, but won;t start. You can only have no spark if either the module, cam, and crank sensor is bad or the coil pack has no grounds or power. What version of fast software are you using windows or old dos?

Update: My coach, norbs had me check voltage at center pole on the cam sensor harness - key on. I had just over 5 volts - not enough.

Then he had me check voltage at the front pin in the coil pack harness - 13.5 volts. (battery has a charger attached)

I switched the coil pack and module out to my old stock unit - (the one as delivered by the General himself) then rechecked voltage at cam sensor. Now I have 7.4 volts - now I have spark

I have not started the car as it was getting late when I did this. I'll add more later.

no start - I'm borrowing a known good coil pack/module. Hopefully will get it put on soon. Thanks for you help

I borrowed the known good coil/module and slapped it in the car. Same thing - no start. Here's where it gets good...
I said f-it and pulled the cam sensor out for about the 4th time. Set to 25deg ATC and made absolutely sure the cam sensor was installed correctly. It was installed correctly as it always was. But....here it comes...when setting the cam sensor with the cam tool I was not going around far enough with the pre-set. You know the part where you rotate the cam sensor clockwise 1/4 turn...I hadn't been going far enough. The tool would act like the sensor was set when in fact it was on the wrong side of the window. Moral of this story...rotate the cam sensor clockwise as far as possible before setting it with the tool.

The car immediately started and ran like a champ. I need my butt kicked.

Nothing better than finding the fix yourself instead of a gloating buddy who smirks pointing out your error.

I know, right. Man I've done this procedure lots of times but for some reason this time it got me. Thanks to every who have helped me along the way, especially norbs. That's not to say I'm done with you man!! You know I'll be asking you questions! :biggrin:

Back