Coil Over Shock Choices.

Cheeseburger

I'm buying coil overs all the way around.
My main goal is a drag race setup but the car is going to see some street duty but no round round stuff.
Looks like Strange double adjustable from TRZ for the front and the rear is the issue!
Running 6" offset so the shock sits within an 1/8" of the inside of the wheel.
Looks like the ride tech brackets may work as it moves the shock inwards but the bracket may interfere. ( won't know till I try).
Also ride tech (Fox) seems to be more of a round round shock and is it suitable for drag racing?
Any input on this would be great.

TRZ also sells Afco and they're considered a better shock/coilover than Strange. That's what I use.

Mike, in my opinion. Your only choices should be either Acfo double adjustables, Santhuff, and possibly QA1. My recommendation is to talk to the guys at TRZ motorsports. In order for you to get the best out of your car and the suspension, you got to talk to the guys that have the Gbody thing under lock down. Your car is going to make a lot of power. These guys will set you up. Their track record speaks for itself. That's where I bought my Acfo's from and talked to Mike. He will also give you tips on how to set it up correctly. These guys test this stuff every weekend at the track. The QA1's is no doubt the cheapest option out of the bunch. not sure that at your power level, it would be enough. The Acfo's and Santhuff's are the hot ticket that the Gbody guys are using at your power level. Only issue if you want to call it that is price. Price is pretty steep, and they come bare. Meaning, you buy the strut separately from the spring, and the hardware and mounting brackets etc.... Mine was a piece meal over time until I finally I had all the pieces to do the install.
I would also be mindful of this question you posted on here. 90% of the board, including myself are not at the level your car will be at when it's tuned and running right, so a lot of people can't give you a solid proven answer that they themselves have used on a car equally as fast.

Mike, in my opinion. Your only choices should be either Acfo double adjustables, Santhuff, and possibly QA1. My recommendation is to talk to the guys at TRZ motorsports. In order for you to get the best out of your car and the suspension, you got to talk to the guys that have the Gbody thing under lock down. Your car is going to make a lot of power. These guys will set you up. Their track record speaks for itself. That's where I bought my Acfo's from and talked to Mike. He will also give you tips on how to set it up correctly. These guys test this stuff every weekend at the track. The QA1's is no doubt the cheapest option out of the bunch. not sure that at your power level, it would be enough. The Acfo's and Santhuff's are the hot ticket that the Gbody guys are using at your power level. Only issue if you want to call it that is price. Price is pretty steep, and they come bare. Meaning, you buy the strut separately from the spring, and the hardware and mounting brackets etc.... Mine was a piece meal over time until I finally I had all the pieces to do the install.
I would also be mindful of this question you posted on here. 90% of the board, including myself are not at the level your car will be at when it's tuned and running right, so a lot of people can't give you a solid proven answer that they themselves have used on a car equally as fast.

^^^^^^ Good info right here ^^^^^^

Thanks for the replies, I talked to Mike at TRZ a few weeks back and was told not to get Afcos because they are no good for street duty and he suggested the Strange double adjustable.
I did not like the rear bracket they have as it looks like it would actually hit my wheel.....I could be wrong though.
I figured maybe a few of the faster guys might still be around who have made the change.....
Mike, my car won't be on kill as I want to keep it together and I'm not out to try and impress anyone other then myself, rather be a little slower and keep it together then be a one hit wonder and be rebuilding it all the time!
How are your Afcos on the street?

Here's a picture of the stock location shock mounted so you can see the clearance issue I would have with a coil over and some of the brackets available.

Attachments

• 20160324_145742.jpg
    20160324_145742.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 20160324_145847.jpg
    20160324_145847.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 222
Thanks for the replies, I talked to Mike at TRZ a few weeks back and was told not to get Afcos because they are no good for street duty and he suggested the Strange double adjustable.
I did not like the rear bracket they have as it looks like it would actually hit my wheel.....I could be wrong though.
I figured maybe a few of the faster guys might still be around who have made the change.....
Mike, my car won't be on kill as I want to keep it together and I'm not out to try and impress anyone other then myself, rather be a little slower and keep it together then be a one hit wonder and be rebuilding it all the time!
How are your Afcos on the street?

You are of the same mindset as myself where setting it on kill is concerned. The Acfo's Double adjustables on the street are fantastic. The ride quality is far superior to anything I have ever had on this car. You are correct about the mounting brackets for the coilover tho. I had bought a kit from them that pulls them out another inch or so more than the factory stuff because there is a spring that is now being used around the strut. But mine are still using the factory mount positions. Your not locked into that if you don't have a tail pipe. They have a relocation kit that keeps the strut standing straight upward as opposed to on a slight angle in the stock formation.

It's all perspective, I drove my car with solid link control arms and Afco's and it was fine to me. I also have a weldon 2345 pump and it doesn't bother me either. At some point, the cars become slightly louder but in all honesty, I in no way thought Afco's were bad on the street.

Just need to fab up mounts to make them work or buy mounts from another manufacturer if they would sell mounts only.

I sell the relocation brackets and they work great. http://www.buickgn.com/Rearshockrelocationlowermount.htm These are made for the Viking coil over shocks so you may have to shim if using QA1 or other shocks. Measures 1 1/4" from tab to tab where the lower shock bolts on. I used these on the UNREAL X project that I recently finished for a friend and realized that the QA1 shocks would not work with the bracket Spohn supplied. The spring would hit the rear calipers on the rear disc brakes this car has.
unrealx.jpg

I am in process of converting my GN right now just because! Much beefier mount.

I'm buying coil overs all the way around.
My main goal is a drag race setup but the car is going to see some street duty but no round round stuff.
Looks like Strange double adjustable from TRZ for the front and the rear is the issue!
Running 6" offset so the shock sits within an 1/8" of the inside of the wheel.
Looks like the ride tech brackets may work as it moves the shock inwards but the bracket may interfere. ( won't know till I try).
Also ride tech (Fox) seems to be more of a round round shock and is it suitable for drag racing?
Any input on this would be great.
RideTech coil overs are Not just for round round stuff, they are a great shock that allows you to do everything you want. We have customers cutting 1.4 60' times with them and they are GREAT for everyday ride quality and if you wish to have it handle better they will do that too... Plus they carry a Million Mile warranty!

Plus We will give you a nice discount seeing your a board member!