CoilPack problem pictures included

Ummmm, well it's not right. The question is what caused it and is the ignition module damaged by it?

My first thought is that it's a cheezy coil pack (no pun intended). Get a new one and slap it on, but check the module for damage.

Holy cr*p.. That doesnt look good:eek: Be sure to check your ignition module and go with a coil pack from ESP.. Nice unit...

Mike

Coil pack looked okay.

Module is a bit goooooeeeyyyy.

I'd verify operation of the components with a Caspers tester, but I don't like the looks of that module.

:(

Originally posted by salvageV6
Coil pack looked okay.

Module is a bit goooooeeeyyyy.

I'd verify operation of the components with a Caspers tester, but I don't like the looks of that module.

:(

You don't think it's stuff that oozed from the coil pack? You know, damn gravity. :D

The stuff is the potting compound for the electronics in the module. Another post, somewhere, from a guy who took one apart, to find out what's in it. I think he was going to reproduce it, maybe with one coil per plug! Anyway, the stuff is from the module, not the coil pack. Mine got that way, too.

Yeah that module is pretty much toast. I wouldn't use it. Autozone sells a Wells replacement and Advance Auto changed to an even cheaper replacement part. Some people have issue with the aftermarket modules popping or breaking up at high rpm and just acting funky in general, I haven't had any issues with my Wells module. The Delco unit I have has little beads mixed w/ the potting compound though, so I'm not sure if yours is aftermarket, as I don't see them. Since the module's purpose is charging one side of the coil, I suppose a bad coil might cause this but I don't really see how. I would bet good money on your coil being fine. Good luck.

Yeah I cleaned out most of the goop and there is the little beads underneath.

I Ohmed the coils and they fell into spec. I have been having what i thought was ignition problems and that is why I pulled this off.

I am not going to bother with an autozone replacement. I am either going to get a GM one or go to typeII.

When that potting compound gets hot, it's gets gooey. If you were having ignition problems, I'd guess the module was going bad. Make sure you have good plug wires before you put on a new one. I was selling used Wells modules for a while. I stopped selling them because I have about 20 of them that look like new, but my car won't run properly on them. You can't check them with a coilpak/module tester so I have to install them on my car. Autozone does guarantee them but I don't like that you can't test them.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33444

Originally posted by Red Regal T
When that potting compound gets hot, it's gets gooey. If you were having ignition problems, I'd guess the module was going bad. Make sure you have good plug wires before you put on a new one. I was selling used Wells modules for a while. I stopped selling them because I have about 20 of them that look like new, but my car won't run properly on them. You can't check them with a coilpak/module tester so I have to install them on my car. Autozone does guarantee them but I don't like that you can't test them.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33444

What causes this to happen? You suggested to replace my plugwires could bad plugwires cause this? Is there anything else I should check before I put a new one in?

Scott

Well, the probable reason the potting compound is getting gooey is that the module is shorting out and causing itself to overheat. I've read on here the possibility of bad wires contributing to this problem. Can't say this is your problem.........just offer as a suggestion. If your wires are old or questionable, now would be a good time to replace them. ;)

Who has the cheapest price on a module. Kurbans has then for $175. But I havn't looked anywhere else yet.

gmparts direct says the part number from gnttype.org is invalid.

Scott

Scott,

After searching I found the following on a past discussion. Looks like it could be worth checking.
"I think 25526449 has been superceeded by 24503624".
You may need to make 100% sure of the application, but it does show in stock by GM Parts Direct ($124).
HTH

BTW, it would probably help some of us if you would post some final results and update/clarification on sources and/or correct part numbers. Also, did you give thought to John's solution ?