Colorado Emissions Help

I’m the second owner and the car was purchased by the original owner in San Francisco at Herrera Buick in 1987.

I think Colorado cars need to have the throttle lever bent, such that the throttle plate is held open a certain amount instead of closing completely. This to compensate for the thinner air up there.

If this has not been done on your car, that might explain why it seems to be running too rich.

I have two Hot Air throttle bodies buried away here somewhere, one from Denver and one from the East Coast. The one from Denver has the throttle lever bent as described, the one from the East Coast does not.

Hope this helps, as they say.

Just register it here in Pueblo.what are emissions? Hope you get it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
It’s a scam !!! Here in California they squeeze every dime from everyone. Get this , the smog diesel cars and trucks !!!! They take your VIN number and rev your motor to 2 grand and call it a day. Such bulls*#!

Just register it here in Pueblo.what are emissions? Hope you get it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
I've considered it. My dad lives in Grand Junction and thought about using his address but we'll see. Going to have to if it gets too expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think Colorado cars need to have the throttle lever bent, such that the throttle plate is held open a certain amount instead of closing completely. This to compensate for the thinner air up there.

If this has not been done on your car, that might explain why it seems to be running too rich.

I have two Hot Air throttle bodies buried away here somewhere, one from Denver and one from the East Coast. The one from Denver has the throttle lever bent as described, the one from the East Coast does not.

Hope this helps, as they say.
I appreciate the info. I'll look into it. I've had the car in CO since about 1999. I believe it came from Michigan before.

I appreciate the info. I'll look into it. I've had the car in CO since about 1999. I believe it came from Michigan before.

Seems I got confused about who's who in this thread. I responded to thomas cory, thinking he was the OP in Colorado. No wonder he ignored me. :confused::whistle:

Oh well, all's well that ends well. Glad you got connected with my post. :D

If I read you right, you got the Postons chip some years ago (while in Colorado), and only now this problem came up at the "first test." I'm unclear if you've ever had it smogchecked in Colorado before, or indeed if it's had issues like this before. In other words, I'm not sure if my suggestion is even a logical possibility. But I guess it's something you'd want to look at anyway, if you didn't know.

Seems I got confused about who's who in this thread. I responded to thomas cory, thinking he was the OP in Colorado. No wonder he ignored me. :confused::whistle:

Oh well, all's well that ends well. Glad you got connected with my post. :D

If I read you right, you got the Postons chip some years ago (while in Colorado), and only now this problem came up at the "first test." I'm unclear if you've ever had it smogchecked in Colorado before, or indeed if it's had issues like this before. In other words, I'm not sure if my suggestion is even a logical possibility. But I guess it's something you'd want to look at anyway, if you didn't know.
Ha! I’m new to the forum so I’m slightly confused. I’m the guy in California.

I’m the guy in California.

Well you're not the ONLY guy in California. Nor are you the only guy with the opinion that you have of smogcheck in California. On that, we are definitely in the same state and on the same page. (y)

Well you're not the ONLY guy in California. Nor are you the only guy with the opinion that you have of smogcheck in California. On that, we are definitely in the same state and on the same page. (y)
Oh !! Got it !!! I got confused ! I found out there are counties in California the “ do not “ require smog !!!! Sonoma county, Mendocino county ........I wounded if securing a P.O. Box in one of those places would work ??

Check the change-of-address form on the DMV site. It requires a street address, will not take a P.O. Box.

They're waaaay ahead of you. :D

I'd give you my number so you can call me from jail after making it so easy for them, but they might charge me with conspiracy.

Anyway, I guess we've hijacked this guy's thread enough ....

I actually went another route for now. I travel a lot for work lately and haven't had the time to put into trouble shooting. I'll probably circle back to it over the summer.

good luck blackout.. am going to be going through the process myself in the coming months.

where in cali are you Tom? I lived in Santa Rosa for years. up til 98. always had to get smog check in Sonoma county then

I’m in San Rafael, lake county north of Santa Rosa has zero requirements for smog. I called a local mechanic up there and he validated there “ no smog required “

commuted to Marin county doing construction for years. 40 min, SR to Novato to the shop. Then 1 hr or more to San Rafael, Mill Valley, Ross, Paradise Cay, Tiburon...but that was more than a few chapters ago. Should be mandatory education in driving to experience some of that, before clogging up the rest of the country's freeways. You can get shot out there messing with someone's commute. In Colo. they just say "Ah, they see me" and pull right out in front of you....no consequence... LOL. trip down memory lane. miss the wine and chasing salmon and steelhead on the Russian River...Good luck to you and your TR

I’m a soon to be retired IBEW electrician from San Francisco and yes its still beautiful out here. I can tell you your not missing much, crowded , conjugated , rising prices for everything etc. Colorado is a beautiful place to be. May head out your way on my travels across this beautiful country: ) Thanks and yes I will need all the luck with my TR. Thanks to ALKY 91 octane isn’t so bad .