column shift or floor shift? pros vs cons

Eazy-E

"You underestimate the power of the dark side"
hey guys i was just wondering what the real difference was between the two... should a column shift be frowned upon or is there no real difference. I am also wondering if it is a personal preference maybe?

I think a floor shifter looks better. Also, not sure bout this, but I THINK that you can't properly/safely operate a trans-brake with a column shift.

If you plan to race & shift manually you don't want to use a column shifter. Too easy to over shift, miss a gear etc.. If you just leave it in D it won't make any difference other than looks. :redface:

cool, i was just wondering... thank you both for your help. i ended up going with a floor shift car because i didnt want to feel like i was 75 years old with a column shift lol

hey I have a column shift, don't hurt my feelings :( When I first bought my car, I hated it but it really has grown on me. I didn't have a choice when I got it but, it's kinds nice that my lady can lift the arm rest and rub boobs on me :)

Floor shift uses a wire cable that can break over time. Column shift uses big thick rods that most likely won't break.

Column shift also adds to the sleeper look.

But as mentioned I don't think you can/want to use a column shift to race. Though it would be cool if you could.

p.s. if you don't want to feel like you're 75, what are you doing in a Buick????

Column shift cars are slower from the factory.
Floor shift cars are a lot faster because of the shifter and how its hooked up onto the transmission.:biggrin:

BTW My Shifter cable broke on my car and it wasn't fun getting under the car to shift from parking to drive just to get home. also did a lot of praying to not have to go in reverse for any stupid reason.

BTW My Shifter cable broke on my car and it wasn't fun getting under the car to shift from parking to drive just to get home. also did a lot of praying to not have to go in reverse for any stupid reason.

Had this happen to me on my Chevelle once, fortunately the linkage that connects to the trans to the column for the theft deterrent was still attached, it allowed me to grab the base of the steering column with both hands and twist it to get it in gear.

On another vehicle the cable broke and there was no linkage from the trans to the shifter....had to set the ebrake and crawl under.

Column shift cars are slower from the factory.
Floor shift cars are a lot faster because of the shifter and how its hooked up onto the transmission.:biggrin:

actually that dosent make any sense because the car has no idea where the shifter is.... that makes absolutely no sense at all

Real world testing proves....

A column shift car most likely has no center console, thus a bench seat.

Center console shift - buckets.

It's been my experience that the ladies don't like getting center console in the boob or waist are whilst providing the driver with a "relaxation" or repetitive theraputics session.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IMHO. :biggrin:

actually that dosent make any sense because the car has no idea where the shifter is.... that makes absolutely no sense at all
Are you sure????
Trust me the car knows!!

haha j/k:D
Real world testing proves....

A column shift car most likely has no center console, thus a bench seat.

Center console shift - buckets.

It's been my experience that the ladies don't like getting center console in the boob or waist are whilst providing the driver with a "relaxation" or repetitive theraputics session.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IMHO. :biggrin:

this guy knows what he is talking about..:biggrin:

Actually, I'm not able to get my wife to
get in the car and I enjoy that along
with my column shifter & bench seat. :biggrin:

you can't properly/safely operate a trans-brake with a column shift.

I had a Buick "expert" try to tell me what I can and can't do with my buick.

Yet i've been running a C/S with brake in my car for 10 years..
I prefer it over a cable, but I can see where it might not be right for everyone...