You can type here any text you want

cometic head gasket

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tta1240

CAMEL TOE
just got my gn runnig and already ran into a problem. water from radiator is mixing with the oil :(. my current heads have a receiver groove cut in them and i use a fel pro receiver groove head gasket. i been told by alot of people that u can run into this same problem that i have if not properly installed. i have not beaten on the car very hard and haven't even gone full throttle in the quarter mile yet. my question is, has anyone else ever run into this problem using them gaskets? also, could i switch to a cometic head gasket without milling the receiver groove out of my heads?? i've been told this has been done. the reason i don't want to mill the heads is because i had to mill the receiver groove out once and cut new receiver grooves and i do not want to raise the compression ratio.

I ran the first production set of Cometics and had problems from the get go. Cometic says install dry but they only have a .001 of Viton coating and it will not cut it alone. Spray all layers with copper coat or similar and torque to 90 lbs with studs. Never got water in the oil but did blow out a set at the unused bolt hole on #3 cylinder. Cometic needs to come out with a set for 8 bolt heads instead of a universal set with 14 holes. Makes the gasket too weak. Also the viton is applied very loosely to the SS and any solvent will remove the viton.

Mitch

How deep is the receive groove? What is the part number of the gasket you used for the receive groove?

Not saying you do but alot confuse receiver groove and o-rings.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Seems like back in the day I ran the felpro's and had to put a thin coat of RTV on them to seal them better. Never had issues after that.

i installed dry and would never go to 90 lbs you can pull the threads out of the block .aluminum heads i go 70 and iron 80.never had a problem

Back