You can type here any text you want

Cometic vs RJC head gaskets??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
RJC is a good gasket. Most likely won't leak oil. Bad is it only comes in one thickness.

Cometic is nice gasket. Multiple thickness available. Bad is it can leak oil or water if decks are not flat and or installed incorrectly.

Both gasket will hold to low tens easily.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You could also use stocky style gaskets. I like them BC it acts as a fuse. I think for the goals its all about the tune.

what i found that makes the gasket leak is improper attention to detail on assembly. what i mean is looking at all studs (if using studs) and making sure they all seat on the cylinder head. Some mid length studs still need an extra washer to have the nut completely torque the head down. Also how and what type of thread sealant you use one the thread because they all lead to the coolant.

This was with stock head gaskets and bolts.
I want to make a change.
So head studs it will be.just need to decide on gaskets.
20151109_190821.jpg
20151109_190841.jpg

For teens . . Stock gaskets, zero detonation. There is a lot of block and head preparation required for cometics or RJC. JMO.

Head gaskets usually don't just give up. Do you know what caused it? Not trying to derail just trying to help and save some $

Idk the motor was running GREAT the only reason for the teardown was metal on the oil drain plug. The metal was from cam gear and broken inner valve springs. Rod and main bearings look real good.

Back to head gaskets.
One of my trusted advisers says Cometics and my other trusted adviser says stock. But since I don't know shit I want to do what I want to do. BTW both have GREAT TB reputations. And I am sure that I can go with either one and still be in a good place.

Real question is which one is building the motor? If you're doing it I say go w stockers give some breathing room but you'll receive all opinions.. Good luck w it

Getting help from both but seriously I am the problem, I realize that and except responsibility for the outcome. For example. you should get this Earl Brown cover, nope the Chinese one will work just fine. Another example Don't get them 1.65 rickers, nope I want the 1.65 my choices my fault I am good with that. Unfortunately I haven't changed or learned much. So which gaskets to get??

if you trust your tuning and want to push the limits of your combo, get cometics.
if you don't trust your tuning , get stockers.
if you trust your tune and don't want to push your combo, get stockers.

I've had great results with the rjc as well as the cometics. I don't think there is much to be gained by either on a stockish bore. my personal favorite is cometics with a thin layer of GE 1200 on every surface of every layer

if you trust your tuning and want to push the limits of your combo, get cometics.
if you don't trust your tuning , get stockers.
if you trust your tune and don't want to push your combo, get stockers.

I've had great results with the rjc as well as the cometics. I don't think there is much to be gained by either on a stockish bore. my personal favorite is cometics with a thin layer of GE 1200 on every surface of every layer
So drill put the rivets separate the 4 layers apply the GE 1200. To ultimately end up with 5 layers of GE 1200. One on the deck, three on the gaskets and one more on the heads. Is this what you mean?

One of my trusted advisers says Cometics and my other trusted adviser says stock. But since I don't know shit I want to do what I want to do. BTW both have GREAT TB reputations.
dave they are both right,but im going to tell you why.they are both great gaskets and should take anything you throw at them meaning the potential damage will be moved into the piston area,if the piston is strong you can torch either gasket so don't believe the bulletproof hype.i have run both bolts and studs,and found both can take plenty of cylinder pressure while using turbos and nitrous.to me the rjc gaskets require less skill to make work which should be a deciding factor for a lot of diy guys,if you pay attention and are meticulous in the build the cometics are the ultimate.and no my cometics don't leak;)

a graphite gasket is great if you have stock pistons and want to give your bottom end the best chance for no damage and don't mind just pulling the heads when things go wrong.i have found with high cylinder pressure or slight detonation they fail much quicker,if your tired of pulling heads and your sure its from cylinder pressure the cometics and rjc gaskets are far superior but you will have hard parts failure if something goes wrong.

So drill put the rivets separate the 4 layers apply the GE 1200. To ultimately end up with 5 layers of GE 1200. One on the deck, three on the gaskets and one more on the heads. Is this what you mean?
Yes , I separate them and put a ultra thin layer using a foam roller

Going back to your original post. If it's not broke don't fix it. Stock are going to seal and don't require a retorque. But don't rattle it at all. You want low 10's? Are you currently close? Do you have an XFI or wideband/closed loop correction? What fuel? Who is tuning the car? Is the suspension capable of low 10's? There's no magic trick when it comes to head gaskets, suspension, and tuning but if they are off the results will be also. I just tell people that they should be happy reducing times .2-.3 per year of solid racing with no catastrophic breakage. If you currently run 10.90 and want to run low 10's it will usually take several thousand $ and a lot of seat time to hit the goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back