You can type here any text you want

Comp 980 Valve Springs

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TTipe

Snake Skinner
I'm going from fairly new "stockers" to comp 980's (92 psi on the seat).Are folks installing these with the stock dampers?? If so why?

Thanks for the help

I Can tell u that yes they r. However idk why. I'm sure someone else will chime in. It's prob bc there not that much stiffer then stock so they will still work

Install....

979's With Cups
980's With Out Cups

The cup is a factory type of dampner and the 980's already have a dampner. Plus the added heigth from the cup will increase the rate of the 980's

We've been having a rash of spring breakages in my other world, (supercharged regals) and they were all comps. The general concensus is that it's because they moved production to mexico... I would never mount a mexican spring on my buick. Not worth the risk.

Mexican Spring

How can I identify if these springs are Mexican made? What springs specifically were failing in the GS's?

install it
no cup and no inner damper spring
the inner is too small for valve guide " hill "

cp

Comp 980's

The "spring cup" keeps the spring centered around the valve center line,improving/reducing guide wear.

install it
no inner damper spring
the inner is too small for valve guide " hill "

cp

Not in my experience.... 980's straight out of the box, no cups, perfect fit on bone stock heads.... never heard of your stated problem, ever...

Not in my experience.... 980's straight out of the box, no cups, perfect fit on bone stock heads.... never heard of your stated problem, ever...

X2.....Just did the valve springs last week (comp 980's) and they fit perfect. Heads are bone stock as well.

X3 You should never have to remove the dampner on 980's on a stock headed engine.

To the guy that removed them, did you checked spring pressure at install height? I bet it’s dramatically lower than in should be not to mention spring stability/control at higher rpm’s

Back