You can type here any text you want

Comp revolution roller cam question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Ok, I have the 800 & some dollar revolution cam kit from comp. This kit is non billet, correct? If so, are there any issues with these cams failing? I just got my engine back from the builder, and I do NOT need something else to go wrong with this thing. Anyone else running these cams? Should I have bought the billet version? I don't plan on going over 500 HP.

You're good, many on the road including mine...The horror stories are from long ago.

the only down fall i found is the instant rpm when the gas is pushed down. this cam pulls all the way thru rpm range. so i am sure its hard on parts:rolleyes:

Tell me about this. I heard from 2 different people, that the old comp cams were failing left and right. Anyone here get caught in that carnage?

Tell me about this. I heard from 2 different people, that the old comp cams were failing left and right. Anyone here get caught in that carnage?

That was a long time ago with the "budget" roller cams.

The new cams from FT are fine. In fact I think they are better than billet cams in at least 1 way. The casting has OE style provisions for gear lubrication that billet cams do not have.

I remembered now, that my cam was ordered from DLS. Which I think he gets them from comp. Am I correct?
(this was months ago, & my memory sucks)

When was the cut off for bad cams.

I got mine about 4 years ago and am just using it now..

Thanks!!..

Great cams, and a far better choice than a flat tappet piece these days due to the oil additives NOT in modern oils. However, I would check the cam over carefully. I had a problem where the roller lifter bodies were interfering with adjacent lobes of the cam due to the cam thrust being thicker than the flat tappet cam. I had to have .040 taken off of the thrust surface of the cam in oder to get the lifters to clear the lobes next to them cleanly. Keep in mind that this may have been rectified, or it may just have been how machining tolerances of cam, block, lifters, etc. stacked up. I would have had serious problems with this had I not caught it during install, however. You do not have much room between the roller lifters and the wider cam lobes on these cams, so tolerances need to be verified. Thanks, Rudy.

Great cams, and a far better choice than a flat tappet piece these days due to the oil additives NOT in modern oils. However, I would check the cam over carefully. I had a problem where the roller lifter bodies were interfering with adjacent lobes of the cam due to the cam thrust being thicker than the flat tappet cam. I had to have .040 taken off of the thrust surface of the cam in oder to get the lifters to clear the lobes next to them cleanly. Keep in mind that this may have been rectified, or it may just have been how machining tolerances of cam, block, lifters, etc. stacked up. I would have had serious problems with this had I not caught it during install, however. You do not have much room between the roller lifters and the wider cam lobes on these cams, so tolerances need to be verified. Thanks, Rudy.

No, THANK YOU Rudy. You just saved me a pain in the azz! I just installed and checked mine and it has the same issue. Thrust face is not correct (too thick) and lifters are contacting the neighboring lobes. I asked my local engine builder and confirmed he has seen this before with COMP CAMS.

Archie, better check yours out the same way before using it. Mine was purchased new Feb 2009.

Why is it so hard for these big cam companies to get this kind of stuff right???? :mad:

This thrust thickness variation would be a non event if the roller cam lobes were as narrow as the flat tappet cams are. However, they are notably wider, and that is where the rub comes in, literally. I measured the roller from tip to the rear of the thrust. I measured the roller from the front of the first flat to the back side of the thrust. I used a feeler gauge to measure the height of the machined thrust surface itself. I compared them to both my old oem cam and the Edelbrock flat tappet piece I had in the motor before. Both flat cams spec the same, and the Comp piece is thicker in the thrust by .040 in my case. I have seen a 440 Mopar post destruction that suffered from this type of issue a few years back. It inexplicably snapped a tie bar, rotated two lifters, and put debris all through the motor. A tear down revealed lifter to adjacent lobe contact on several holes. I am sure that there are TR folks running like this right now, not knowing that this is going on inside of their motors, as the rub is small and could easily go undetected. Thanks, Rudy.

Don't fret, as this is no problem at all as long as you make sure you are good BEFORE installing the motor and firing it up. My machinist wouldn't even charge me to machine the cam, but I gave him a "tip" anyway for his troubles. On this build, I set up end clearances with the cam before realizing I had a thrust issue--on a damned Chinese timing cover to boot! I couldn't get the cam sensor in the hole--it was misaligned, of course, so I swithched back to my oem cover and reset up the end clearances again. THEN, I found the interference issue, had the cam shaved .040, and reset the clearances AGAIN! Luckily, the motor was on the stand, not in the car. I know that I am not alone with my experiences with these cars. To own a GN is to suffer most of the time. Every now and then, things go right, and that is why we keep on trying. Kinda like being married. LOL Rudy.

Does anyone else make a good roller cam or have a cam kit for our cars? The more i read the more I don't want a comp cam! I definitely don't want a comp flat tappet and now I don't want a comp roller either.

I can see why people give up on these cars and just part them out.

D

Don't fret, as this is no problem at all as long as you make sure you are good BEFORE installing the motor and firing it up. My machinist wouldn't even charge me to machine the cam, but I gave him a "tip" anyway for his troubles. On this build, I set up end clearances with the cam before realizing I had a thrust issue--on a damned Chinese timing cover to boot! I couldn't get the cam sensor in the hole--it was misaligned, of course, so I swithched back to my oem cover and reset up the end clearances again. THEN, I found the interference issue, had the cam shaved .040, and reset the clearances AGAIN! Luckily, the motor was on the stand, not in the car. I know that I am not alone with my experiences with these cars. To own a GN is to suffer most of the time. Every now and then, things go right, and that is why we keep on trying. Kinda like being married. LOL Rudy.

Rudy,
Do you know if the machinist had to grind the thrust face or just put it in a lathe?

Does anyone else make a good roller cam or have a cam kit for our cars? The more i read the more I don't want a comp cam! I definitely don't want a comp flat tappet and now I don't want a comp roller either.

I can see why people give up on these cars and just part them out.

D

You can check out TA:

Turbo V6 | TAPerformance.com

Steve, I am about positive my machinist put the cam in a lathe and removed the excess. The finish was nice and smooth, and I don't believe he cut it some other way. Thanks, Rudy.

Back