You can type here any text you want

COnnecting to FAST

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John N

My friend's Toshiba laptop with XP connects to it no problem. My HP with Vista acts like a blind retard. I called Fast and they said it was an issue with the computer, but the thing is brand new. Any advice to try?

FAST told me it was Vista compatible. Lies I tell you! Ughhh... I really think you're right though.

More than likely you are having IRQ problems. New laptops dont have serial ports. USB cables TRY to assign an IRQ but it doesnt ALWAYS work. We have had to purchase PCMCIA to serial adapters to allow us to program telephone systems/routers/switches. This may be the route you have to take. I would try to change IRQs for the USB connection first as this may work.
HTH
Bryan

Why not just buy a cheap laptop off ebay for less than 100$ that has a serial port in it.... you dont need anything crazy to run the FAST software. And also, do you really want to be lugging a brand new laptop around with you in the car and stuff?

+ 1 on a cheap laptop. I use a Piii 450 dell that is 11 years old for my FAST. Built-in serial port. This laptop is still more than needed to run FAST software. Check out a pawn shop for a used laptop they are usually pretty cheap
Bryan

What kind of USB to serial adapter are you using? Some are total crap. Try the one that FAST sells, or get a Keyspan USA-19HS. That one WILL work.

Also, figure out what com port your adapter has assigned itself to. IRQs aren't much of an issue anymore. If it's a classic FAST system it needs to be com 1, 2, 3, or 4. Others won't work. XFI is compatible up to com12 I believe.

What kind of USB to serial adapter are you using? Some are total crap. Try the one that FAST sells, or get a Keyspan USA-19HS. That one WILL work.

Also, figure out what com port your adapter has assigned itself to. IRQs aren't much of an issue anymore. If it's a classic FAST system it needs to be com 1, 2, 3, or 4. Others won't work. XFI is compatible up to com12 I believe.

Im using the expensive radio shack one.... because i work at radioshack :biggrin:.

Works just fine.

It is the latest version of xfi with the wires FAST provided. It was Com7, but wouldn't work. It was com6 on my friend's computer. I don't have money for another laptop right now. I'd rather put 1 and 1 together than spend more money on something I shouldn't need. The IRQ seems like an interesting solution, but how the hell do I go about doing that? What makes you so sure it will work with a Keyspan USA-19HS? I'd like to use what I have, but if I need to buy another connecter, I probably would.

Been there done that:wink: when my laptop would not connect.

Now that's cool! I hate the wires. Let me know which one you got and how it works for you when you can.

I have the sd-100 here but my laptop is wating for the bluetooth card to come in, should be any day now.

the key span usb to serial adaptor is the only one i have seen work using the fast, big stuff and AEM efi systems

That's another vote for the Key span. I think that will be my stocking stuffer this year. Thanks for everybody's help and I would still love to hear the blue tooth results when they're available.

Got that Keyspan connector today. Finally got it all hooked up! Thanks guys! So far I was able to lower my idle and that made me happy for now. Can't wait log some runs and tune in some gas milage for street driving!

Thats good news, I;m still waiting on my bluetooth card. Next time i wont order from china! Ebay said it was in usa and then i get an email, its coming from china direct.......

Back