Conversion from SubWoofer to 6 X 9s

wilkinsde

I purchased a GN from a board member here about 1.5 years ago. The audio system was already installed when the car was purchased. There is a sub-woofer box installed in the trunk, not really my thing. I would like to replace it with two high quality 6 x 9 speakers mounted under the rear deck.

Could I remove the sub and use the wiring and amp to run the 6 x 9s? Would there be too much power to run these speakers? I realize that selecting the right components and configuring the system can be tricky.

Below are the audio system specifics. Thank you for any advice you can give.
Pioneer CD player
6 Infinity speakers
Punch 400 amp on the highs
Punch 250 on the subs
2 JL Audio 12" woofers

No. Sell the mono block amp, and, the JL subs. Tht will give you enough coin to get a proper 2 channel amp and decent 6x9's. I'd recommend Focal.

I'd need to know what model the amp and sub are. Feel free to post pix ill help the best I can.

Attached are some picture of the system. The speaker box is custom made for the GN trunk. A Google check indicates that these are fairly expensive components. I would ask for a fair price but one that would absolutely move the components. Thanks for the advice. Suggestions or offers will be considered.

Attachments

• _MG_9909 (1024x683).jpg
    _MG_9909 (1024x683).jpg
    328 KB · Views: 141
  • _MG_9915 (1024x683).jpg
    _MG_9915 (1024x683).jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 140
  • _MG_9916 (1024x683).jpg
    _MG_9916 (1024x683).jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 138
I would keep the 400a4 that's prob Allready running all your highs, the other amp is it a 250a2? either way what's in the back dash now?...Mike

Sounds like you have a 4 and a 2 channel amp, you can keep both, the 2 channel will push 6x9's but it will need to be regained at the least. W3's are nice subs and I'm sure someone I the forum would pick them up. I've tried to move some high end audio equipment on here and personally had no luck... Nice gear though!!

There are currently no speakers installed under the rear deck. What do you mean by "regained"? (I apologize for my ignorance on this subject matter). Thanks for the replies.

BandAid said:
maybe do a search and you might be surprised how many love these,they used to be cheaper until they learned everyone wanted them...

From the description are they more of a re-shaped 8 inch subwoofer then a regular true 6x9 ?

I would keep everything just as you have it. If you aren't into deep bass then examine the amp that is running the subs. There should be a little dial called "gain". You will need a tiny eyeglass screw driver to turn it down. Just turn it down until you are happy with the bass. If you take out the subs you will notice that you are missing half your music....weather you are listening to country, hard rock, easy listening, or whatever. If you need money, then you could sell those subs for a couple hundred each (if they are 12W6V2-d4) and then replace them with cheaper subs.

I completely agree with GNRick. If you are just looking for more highs and mid-range then you could always add some 6x9s and should be able to run them off one ch of the amp and the subs off the other. You may have to run the subs in series if they are dual voice coil. As long as your impedances are above 2 ohms on each ch then you should be fine. If you decide to do this and have any questions about wiring then I will be glad to help.

I would keep everything just as you have it. If you aren't into deep bass then examine the amp that is running the subs. There should be a little dial called "gain". You will need a tiny eyeglass screw driver to turn it down. Just turn it down until you are happy with the bass. If you take out the subs you will notice that you are missing half your music....weather you are listening to country, hard rock, easy listening, or whatever. If you need money, then you could sell those subs for a couple hundred each (if they are 12W6V2-d4) and then replace them with cheaper subs.
After discussing with a fella that I work with, I didn't realize that there was that much control over the bass from the head unit. I made a few adjustments and the sound has improved greatly. No more disturbing the peace at the stoplights :). Thanks for the replies.