conversion pics/questions

japSW20

alright guys so i have my car apart and decided to fool around with the motor since i hate that turbo being uptop of th emotor.so i started unbolting stuff and made some brackets to mount my turbo on the side while still keeping the same manifolds.now my problem is the Throtle body.ive been reading up on other post about relocating it,but my question is.if i mount the TB after the turbo,can i still keep my hot air computer? or will i have to switch everything out to a 86-87? also that pic shows a rough idea of where i am going to mount the alternator.any suggestions,criticism is welcomed :redface:
hyt.jpg

rh.jpg

nf9.jpg

nf.jpg

GREAT location for the turbo!

Edit:
I would use some IC'd TR parts.
That way you can easily get spares as compared to custom fabricated parts. But than again, soon you are into the 87 conversion.

Jerryl said:
GREAT location for the turbo!

Edit:
I would use some IC'd TR parts.
That way you can easily get spares as compared to custom fabricated parts. But than again, soon you are into the 87 conversion.
yea im surprised more people dont mount them in this location,minimal fabbing is needed.right now im working on the elbow that connects the manifold to the turbo.also lined up the alternator and everything fits perfectly. :biggrin:

i agree with jerryl on location.
but the only problem i see with it being there is excesive heat will be very hard on the alternators.i would make some sort of heat shield and wrap the exhaust housing to cut the heat down on the alt.

just my .02
but i agree very creative. ;)

keith

tea i will do that,im planing on runing a alt. cover and a blanket over the exhaust housing,wrapp the downpipe and headers in it too. anyways figured out how to mount the turbo and still run the factory alt. bracket.still need to fab up a downpipe.for no wim just making sure everything fits perfect before tearing everything back down to rebuild the block.You guys think this will clear the hood?
79.jpg

78.jpg

It is a great idea but i looks like the hood is deffinatly gonna hit it. seeing the last two pics verifies this .With my hood closed there is about 1 1/2 inches between hood and alt and thats without the hood insulator. there is also a molded section right where the turbo is in that pic that is gonna give you an inch less room than the alt has. Im not trying to be negative about it i just want to be honest and let you know the problems as i have done this kind of fab work myself and would hate to see you waste time without checking the fit with a hood or fender on the car good luck

Anthony

boosted84 said:
It is a great idea but i looks like the hood is deffinatly gonna hit it. seeing the last two pics verifies this .With my hood closed there is about 1 1/2 inches between hood and alt and thats without the hood insulator. there is also a molded section right where the turbo is in that pic that is gonna give you an inch less room than the alt has. Im not trying to be negative about it i just want to be honest and let you know the problems as i have done this kind of fab work myself and would hate to see you waste time without checking the fit with a hood or fender on the car good luck

Anthony
no prob. man were all here to help each other.i guess if the hood hits and i cant bang out the section ill just cut out a opening on my hood and route the air through the hood into the turbo :biggrin: ram air baby..

ok a couple of questions,first is do they sell pre made elbows? the ones that comeout of the intake manifold? i want to mount my TB in the same place where it was with the turbo in stock location. and my other question is if i could mount my TB after the turbo while still using factory harness and ecm from my 85?

ok well the only elbow i know that is pre made is the spearco one and you would have to find it used, i actually have a tread right now where this came up. What i did because my turbo is in the stock location is have a 90 degree elbow welded on, but if you do plan on running your current setup with the turbo where it is i would have to say for performance sake convert to a ported 86 87 style intake. For ease sake i would say you can have a 90 degree elbow welded on to your hot air intake, get an 87 inlet bell and bolt that to the tb and use a silicone coupler to connect it. While you have that hot air intake off if you decide to go that route get that thing PORTED and

for the second part of your question much shorter answer lol :
yes you can run the hot air computer with the tb after the turbo.

Anthony

boosted84 said:
ok well the only elbow i know that is pre made is the spearco one and you would have to find it used, i actually have a tread right now where this came up. What i did because my turbo is in the stock location is have a 90 degree elbow welded on, but if you do plan on running your current setup with the turbo where it is i would have to say for performance sake convert to a ported 86 87 style intake. For ease sake i would say you can have a 90 degree elbow welded on to your hot air intake, get an 87 inlet bell and bolt that to the tb and use a silicone coupler to connect it. While you have that hot air intake off if you decide to go that route get that thing PORTED and

for the second part of your question much shorter answer lol :
yes you can run the hot air computer with the tb after the turbo.

Anthony
thanks alot man i appreciate it,im not looking for serious power,just cleaning up the engine bay a little.im going to run a powerstroke intercooler,havent decided what size cam yet,i will port out my hot air intake while im at it.what material is it anyways? it looks like pot metal :confused: if its aluminum i could tig weld a elbow on it.

oh yea on mre thing,i want this motor to run on pretty much the basics only,can the egr control valve and boost solenoid be removed if im runing a seperate boost controller? i really hate th elook of those htings sitting on my valve covers..

You just said goodbye to A/C right?

I have to say its a very creative thing you're trying to do with your car, keep us posted. You've come to the best place to get advice, believe me I've learned huge things here.

If have any doubts just let me know and I'll ask here :)

Good Luck!

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
You just said goodbye to A/C right?

I have to say its a very creative thing you're trying to do with your car, keep us posted. You've come to the best place to get advice, believe me I've learned huge things here.

If have any doubts just let me know and I'll ask here :)

Good Luck!
thanks very much,yea im getting rid of everyhting i dont need pretty much.im leaving the power steering just because it hasnt gotten in my way yet :biggrin: anyways i have pics posted of the entire car in members rides under "not your average t-type"

I see your point on getting rid of A/C, but for me it's not an option, I addicted to A/C :).

I have a doubt concerning the space avaliable for future turbo upgrades for your setup.

Is there enough room to mount a "Big" Turbo in the near future?

JOELO'S T-TYPE said:
I see your point on getting rid of A/C, but for me it's not an option, I addicted to A/C :).

I have a doubt concerning the space avaliable for future turbo upgrades for your setup.

Is there enough room to mount a "Big" Turbo in the near future?
well i have the front clip off of the car,i know for a fac the turbo will not hit the wheel wells but like mentioned it might hit the hood.the only thing holding you back from a upgraded turbo i guess would be changing the flange and maybe cutting more of the hood out :) oh yea one more question,what all is needed to switch out the maf and run a map insteaD?

One more thing you might want to look into is a bigger turbo or smaller intercooler, that stock turbo wont be able to move enough air with that powerstroke intercooler on there. the stock turbo flows very little. A ta33 would be a nice step up and its in the stock housing. As far as i know our cars have both a map and maf.

Anthony

boosted84 said:
One more thing you might want to look into is a bigger turbo or smaller intercooler, that stock turbo wont be able to move enough air with that powerstroke intercooler on there. the stock turbo flows very little. A ta33 would be a nice step up and its in the stock housing. As far as i know our cars have both a map and maf.

Anthony
:confused: didnt know that :confused: so what would i have to do to get rid of the Maf sensor?
and how about the egr and boost solenoid?

what would i have to do to get rid of the Maf sensor?
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the only way to do away with the MAF is with F.A.S.T system....why would you want to do away with the MAF???? set it up for the translator and LS1 MAf then you don't have to worry about flakey rebuilt MAF's...LS1 MAF's are avilable anywhere....