Coolant sensor code 11

3.8vsix

Hi guys, drove my car a little tonight and went to WOT a couple times and had code 11 pop up. Air temps was in the lower 30's and boost was around 23# I also had about 9deg knock on those very short hits. Do you guys think that the sensor itself is causing the problems? The sensor seems to be reading right on the scanmaster 2. Just a little confused. Thanks for any help!!

you say code 11 scanmaster 2 but sig shows xfi?? do you mean scanmaster 3 code 11
did the XFI show check engine lamp and flag for CTS (check with laptop)
you can get an code if the sensor went below 0 degrees (sensor reading over 4.61v) or if the wiring is bad or the sensor is flakey , just because it looked ok when you checked doesnt mean it isnt flakey and going bad but given the ambient and sparying alky the sensor just my have just reached its limit

heres code 11 from the xfi manual..
CTS Fault

Coolant temperature sensor measurement approaching or at range limit

If a CTS fault code is set, the ECU takes the following actions to protect the engine.

• Fan output is switched on
  • Target idle speed is forced to 1000 RPM
  • EGR function disabled
  • CTS based fuel correction zeroed out

Last edited:
Sorry... I did mean scanmaster 3. The service engine soon light did come on as well. I did not have my laptop with me at that time to check. I will try another sensor since that one probably has 200k on it. Thanks so much for you help!

Hey guys! Well I got the car out again with the replaced coolant sensor and the service engine soon light still comes on at wot. The air temperature is much warmer than the last time I had it out which I thought that might had something to do with it. Also the knock is still showing up maybe not quite as bad as before. Any ideas what to check next? Thanks!!!

update... I think I have my knock issue fixed by putting a second nozzle on. I was running out of octane. I replaced the coolant sensor a while back and thought I had it fixed with the code 11 issue but now it's back. Should I try another sensor? Thanks for any help!!

Well it’s been a while and still trying to figure this out. Went to the track today and am confused on which fault code is right. The XFI says it is a IAC fault code but when I look at it on the scanmaster 3 it shows a code 11 which is CTS code according to the manual. Any ideas? Btw It only triggers the code at wot and at 24psi and over. Thanks!!

if xfi shows it as IAC fault C and not cts// its IAC , i would ignore the sm3 interpretation of code
ive had iac issues with xfi and alky flooding and shorting the iac motor required sending the box back to fast for repair, the problem was the iac wasnt sealed at the body and connector end (i could blow on pintle end and hear air) anf that led to alky being forced out of the sensor past the motor winding which shorted it and damaged the xfi