You can type here any text you want

Cooling system upgrades for front mount?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

slowboi

Tried searching and didnt gind anything..... so......

With a large front mount intercooler slowing the air down before it hits the rad, do we need to do any cooling system upgrades to avoid overheating in stop and go summer traffic? Id like to do them now to avoid problems in the future, lower temps will help things anyway........

Comments?

How much power are you making that you need a front mount? There are guys running into low 11's with a Dutt neck mod to a stock intercooler and maybe faster. If your making north of 600 at the crank...go with the big PTE stock location unit. If you drive it a bunch, look into the stock location units first.
As for a way to keep it cool...get an Alradco radiator from Pete. That seems to be the best result lately.

Alradco.....

Peter, just got done designing and field testing some new fan setups that really pull air. Here is some specs:

A/C ON test (stock fan / new Alradco dual fan setup ):
60 MPH cruise for 20 miles: 203/191 Improvement was 12 degrees.
15-35 MPH residential with stops for several miles: 212/193 Improvement was 19 degrees!
Idle for 5 to 6 minutes: 218/189 Improvement was 29 degrees!!!!

http://alradco.com/index.php?page=s...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29&vmcchk=1&Itemid=29

Now I believe with his aluminum radiator, the temps are a bit lower.......

Also he is a great guy to talk to and help you out.

I have a RJC FMIC and ram charger fans. A/C blows 40 degrees in south Florida heat and stays under 200 always...

How much power are you making that you need a front mount? There are guys running into low 11's with a Dutt neck mod to a stock intercooler and maybe faster. If your making north of 600 at the crank...go with the big PTE stock location unit. If you drive it a bunch, look into the stock location units first.
As for a way to keep it cool...get an Alradco radiator from Pete. That seems to be the best result lately.

Ill be aiming for 600-700hp

Ill take a look at the Alradco set-up

There is also a set up through GN1 with spal fans http://gn1performance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ASuperExtremeRadandHoFansCombo

Anyone have that set-up?

http://buickgn.com/dualfans.htm

DualFanSetUpHO-1.jpg

I have a F body radiator and Intrepid fans. 173° is the hottest I see even on the dyno on a 90° day.

Wow, there's more choices than I thought. Are people generally running a different thermostat or is the stock one ok?

How far out from the rad do the fan motors stick out on those various setups?
I need the fans to stick out the least amount as possible for my setup...

I run a stock Re-cored radiator, (you would be surprised how well the original one's do when new) Copper is far superior heat conductor than aluminum. I run no thermostat, Dual Z06 fan's (ls1) fan's custom mounted to fit the support. Just did some trimming to the fan shroud and works great. I also use a Thermoswitch which run's off a relay and i can control @ what temp the fans kick on or whenever the ac is on as well. My temps can stay as cold as 140-150 in FL heat 98+ ambient in traffic. I also run the same thermoswitch on a dual trans cooler with fan. Works Great. I do also think the Ethanol helps me stay very cool as well. Oh and i also run water wetter. I run straight water no antifreeze.

Do you run a thermostat with your setup?
Yes....I'll have to check with temperature one. I am running an aluminum radiator as well..I've had some big cubic inch pro street ars before and never could keep temps right...this car stays perfect and is a monster when unleashed...

one important thing that is often overlooked is making sure all the air that goes through the grille has to exit through the radiator- i made a set of new rubber flaps that completely sealed around the intercooler and made a "floor" that seals off the area between the air dams where the scoop was for the stock i/c. i also stuffed large foam strips between the sides of the radiator and the rad support (i run an aftermarket aluminum radiator that wasnt an exact fit). this made the single biggest difference of anything i tried. i run a 160 t-stat, 50/50 water and antifreeze with water wetter and as long as the car is moving it runs right at 162 regardless of outside temp. i also mounted my external oil and trans coolers below the intercooler and cut out the front license plate area of the bumper to let in a little more air. i have a scrap grille that i'm planning on cutting the center out of to cover the hole and make it look factory-ish. maybe when it warms up a little outside!

Back