Could someone ID these tranny codes?

85_SS

G-body enthusiast
Tag reads "HG" and the number is as follows:

254 - IT85HG0751

Tag reads "HE" and the number is as follows:

275 - 2185HE1352

I know that they are both 1985 trannys but could someone specify what vehicle they came out of and which (if any) is the better candidate for a rebuild.

Thanks in advance:)

Originally posted by 85_SS
Tag reads "HG" and the number is as follows:

254 - IT85HG0751

Tag reads "HE" and the number is as follows:

275 - 2185HE1352

I know that they are both 1985 trannys but could someone specify what vehicle they came out of and which (if any) is the better candidate for a rebuild.

Thanks in advance:)

The HG is a big olds (delta 88) or Buick (Lesabre)85 model year.
HE............ I havent seen but I can look at work tommorrow for you. I was just playing with an HG unit today. Both appear to be CA. standards not federal.

Will look and give you specifics tommorrow.
Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

The HE I was told was out of a full size buick station wagon, this I am unsure of though. If you could get some details and recommend which is a better base to start from (if either is good) that would be great.

Thanks,

Kevin

HG

1985 Bonneville,cutlass , grand prix, monte carlo regal,
with 305 v-8 and of CANADA only

HE
1985 Caprice, cadillac deville, Impala, Le sabre, 305 v8 CANADA only

For a street rod either would be ok. For a turbo Buick I would look else where or change vb and govenor.

Hope this helped

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

I just have a Monte SS with a mild 350 (250 HP) so these will do then.

Thanks WE4 :D

Well the 87 Monte SS in the junkyard that I was hoping to get the tranny out of has a KTF instead of the CZF. Someone swapped trannys in its life at some point. The only thing I can find online says its out of a "307 Y 2.93" which means it is probably not any better than the HE and HG code trannys I currently have, am I correct in assuming this?