Craigslist weirdness

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I've had some success lately selling a few things. I put a desk on there yesterday late morning. Two people asked about it during the afternoon. One lady wanted a description of the color, condition, etc. A guy just wanted to know if I still had it. I replied to both within hours. No reply from either since.

Maybe the lady did not like my honesty that it has normal wear and tear, ok. The guy was hoping I did not have it? What then? Weirdness I am telling you. And the way the world is now you always have "scam" in the back of your mind if you know what I mean.

I have been selling off a lot of stuff on CL over the last few months in an attempt to down-size. Craigslist attracts some of the lowest levels of human excrement at times. Unfortunately there is no longer any other alternative as far as running a classified ad. Just today, I received a call (I require phone inquiries vs. e-mail to weed out some of the riffraff) on a car that I have for sale. The guy can't even get off his backside to look at the car & then calls me names when I won't accept his telephonic offer of $500 less than I'm asking.

Put my GN up on the local Craigslist earlier this year. Got nothing but flakes and scammers answer the ad for 3 weeks. Just as I considered pulling the ad and keeping the car the first serious person to actually come out to see the car bought it on the spot at asking price. Putting up with all the Craigslist bs just comes with the territory..

I've had some success lately selling a few things. I put a desk on there yesterday late morning. Two people asked about it during the afternoon. One lady wanted a description of the color, condition, etc. A guy just wanted to know if I still had it. I replied to both within hours. No reply from either since.

Maybe the lady did not like my honesty that it has normal wear and tear, ok. The guy was hoping I did not have it? What then? Weirdness I am telling you. And the way the world is now you always have "scam" in the back of your mind if you know what I mean.

The woman had rape on her mind, til she Googled you, and found you were a married, old fart.
The guy was planning a home invasion, and then found a rich widow w/ a desk for sale, and figured she'd be a better target!

Close??:D:p
CL = surefire way to get jacked up....Or worse.:rolleyes:

I've been selling on CL for at least 10 years. Most people are decent just like they are on here. There are plenty of idiots on there though that expect new stuff that's 30 years old without realistic expectations as to the condition or don't realize hey that's the same thing everyone else wants and that's why it's pricey. There are plenty of scams as far as I want your item and I will send you a check for a few hundred more than you want for your inconvenience and my shipper will pick up the item. Or I just love the people who live 2 towns over and want tons of pics, if your too lazy to drive here and look I won't waste my time . Gotta take the good with the bad just like everywhere else in life

I was selling my sons Honda CRF50 and the guy called and said he was on his way to get it and he said he lived 45 minutes from me and he would call when he got to town. He called a hour later and said he was in Florence and wanted directions to my house or a place to meet. He started sounding confused and we found out he was in Florence SC and I was in Florence Al. I told him the ad had the location map. He got pissed and told me I should pay for his gas for not putting the state in the ad. I told him the only state he needs to worry about is his state of confusion and that I was going to take a nap while he drove home.