You can type here any text you want

Crank sensor question motor dies when warm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
Will a failing crank sensor cause a car to die once it is already running? Or is it only used at start up?
My friends GN dies once the car gets warmed up. Can not restart until it cools back down..... Then dies once warmed up.....and so on....
No codes set

Drewster on Tapatalk

Google Vortex Buick no start tree ive had great success with it!! Give it a try!!

Ok I'll try those
Would still be good to understand how the crank sensor works. I may be wrong but I thought the crank sensor is like the cam sensor. Once the motor starts, the sensor can be unplugged and the motor will keep running. However a crank sensor fail doesn't have a SES light associate with it.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Drewster on Tapatalk

Crank sensor is used all of the time while the engine is running. Lose it and the engine stops.

No ECM error codes for a bad crank sensor.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes but try coil pack 1st I thought was crank then cam sensor was breaking my head trying to figure out which one and all along it turned out to be the coil pack. Had same exact issues you described.

When it stalls spray the sensor with brakeleen it will cool it, if it starts there's your answer. If not keep looking..

Good info. Gona head over there with a box full of sensors and coil pack today. He finally got a Scan tool and fuel gauge. Fuel press is about 7-10 psi low when warm on the stock regulator. Might start there. It will stay running with the hood open.
Good idea on the cooling sensor Will try water though cause brake cleaner degrades most plastics.

Drewster on Tapatalk

Weak coil pack or module was the root cause. Was still sparking, just not strong enough I guess.
Would have figured it out a long time ago if he bolted the ground nuts down when he tried his spare.
Thanks everyone! I learned some new stuff on this one.

Drewster on Tapatalk

Back