CU code 200-4r?

theo

I'm looking at a 200-4r as a project for my th350'd vette. The 200-4r is super-rare here in the UK and they only come up for sale every couple of years or so.

I have just found a CU coded unit over here, and I'm wondering how good it'll be as a basis for a decent perfomance build. I'm told that it was originally behind a V6 Camaro, maybe someone can confirm from the numbers?

The id tag has the following info:

C 81U U

8112 - 09 - 80

Given how rare they are, I might just grab it anyway, if the price is right. Presumably with the correct internals even the lame ones can be made to work well?

Unless someone can look at those numbers and say "don't do it, it's a dog!!"

Thanks in advance

Theo

I'm looking at a 200-4r as a project for my th350'd vette. The 200-4r is super-rare here in the UK and they only come up for sale every couple of years or so.

I have just found a CU coded unit over here, and I'm wondering how good it'll be as a basis for a decent perfomance build. I'm told that it was originally behind a V6 Camaro, maybe someone can confirm from the numbers?

The id tag has the following info:

C 81U U

8112 - 09 - 80

Given how rare they are, I might just grab it anyway, if the price is right. Presumably with the correct internals even the lame ones can be made to work well?

Unless someone can look at those numbers and say "don't do it, it's a dog!!"

Thanks in advance

Theo

That transmission can be made to work as good as the famous BR from a turbo regal. If its cheep grab it. I have never paid attention to the codes.

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear. I'm guessing the valvebody of that CU unit, whilst not a BR, is sufficient for pretty good performance? I suppose there must be differences in the diameters of the spool valves from one calibration's valve body to another...

I'm not after building something to absorb 1000HP, just something that will survive spirited driving and have scope to take 300HP + in a Vette (probably closer to 200 now :eek:) if I work over the engine in the future.

That code looks like 1980 or 1981. If it did come from a Camaro it will be a TH200C 3-Speed trans. Camaro didn't use the TH2004R 4-Speed trans.
80-83 Camaro used TH200C, TH350/350C.
83-93 Camaro used TH700R4.
2004R Trans codes>> http://web.archive.org/web/20070128173316/http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html

Check the Pan shape to ID it>>
#1 Aluminum Powerglide 14 bolts
#2 TH200/200C- Metric- -11 bolts
#3 TH350/350C- -13 bolts
#4 TH400-- 13 bolts
#5 TH200-4R-- 16 bolts
#6 TH700-R4, 4L60, 4L60E --16 bolts
#7 4L80E-- 17 bolts

Attachments

• pan_id.jpg
    pan_id.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 216
Also, despite what your research or seller tells you, make sure it's got the right case. I have seen early ones with BOP only cases. I can't imagine why GM made both versions (BOP & Multi) bellhousings, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if someone here corrected me to add a Chevy-only bell as well. Check in person first or get good pics sent. Anyone can swap tags around.

Thanks for the pointers guys.

I'm pretty sure from the only picture I have, that it's both a 200-4r AND has a universal case. The Th200C looks pretty similar to a Th350 yeah? I don't think this one is a 200 (which is good!)

Seller may be wrong in his assertion that it was from a Camaro.

Have a look at the pic and see what you think.. and I know it looks ROUGH! But over here they're too rare to pass off. And I'm a firm believer that most things can be refurbished :smile:

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 173
Jeez, I know! :rolleyes: It's rough looking isn't it!

That's what we have to put up with over here - plenty of TH350s and 400s kicking about, but the 200-4rs are very few and far between.

It's a gamble, if it's been stored like that it's probably full of rain water :eek:

Here's hoping it's save-able.....