You can type here any text you want

Custom Valve Covers and Vents

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
Do/Can our cars use custom GN/Buick valve covers. What about valve cover breathers? I wanna ditch the filter box system and use the setup Rich was telling me about but that requires doing away with the blowby hose and I dont want crankcase smoke in the car. Can I put on a later model valve cover breather with a filter or just cap off the valve cover?

The "blowby" should have a breather filter on in the filter box. Just leave that on there.

You can use the 85-85 valve covers instead of the stock ones if you want to, but you will need a breather of some sort like Rich said.

You can use the 85-85 valve covers instead of the stock ones if you want to, but you will need a breather of some sort like Rich said.

what about the ones the IC cars use? In my last post you saw me clean up my airbox assembly and the blow-by hose situation so the car doesnt smoke anymore. I want to get rid of the box period and do the setup Rich had showed me, but the smoke doesnt go into the carb.
cone83.JPG

You have to pull the turbo/plenum/carb assemby off to change the covers. I haven't found a set of covers that have the oil fill hole in a useable spot. Most aftermarktet covers are ¼" taller to accomdate roller rockers and they will be too high to fit under the turbo/plenum/carb.

Just stick with the stock valve covers and worry about getting your engine running right.

product_photo-large_image-242803.jpg

so these will work??

These are to high, as Rich mentioned. Here's the only choice you have unless you want to put a spacker in between the turbo and intake.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 242
carb spacer

I think I have one of those on my car already, Ill take a look. Im most concerned about the crankcase smoke and where to redirect the hose, seriously that stuff is nasty and I dont want it in the car...

You have to pull the turbo/plenum/carb assemby off to change the covers. I haven't found a set of covers that have the oil fill hole in a useable spot. Most aftermarktet covers are ¼" taller to accomdate roller rockers and they will be too high to fit under the turbo/plenum/carb.

Just stick with the stock valve covers and worry about getting your engine running right.

you could do a custom with the stock valve covers... hey thats a good idea.. I may just do that..... forget I said anything:biggrin:

If you know how to weld you can make your own. I would just keep the stock ones. If you want to make them, look good powder coat them or paint them. You can get a powder coating kit at harbor fright for $50 and the powder from the eastwood co.

hey charlie i just noticed something are you sure the hole for the oil filler will not be under the plenum? i dont know but it looks like it might. i might be wrong.:confused:

I've ran NA Valve covers before, just switched sides so the fill was on the passenger side head bank. the stamped steel turbo valve covers have the oil fill closer to the end.

LOL I'll find out when I put everything together Matt. Just in case I have a set of KB covers lurking around here as well.:biggrin:

the sad thing is i could have done what adam said, but i had some one weld in a filler tube.

hey charlie i just noticed something are you sure the hole for the oil filler will not be under the plenum? i dont know but it looks like it might. i might be wrong.:confused:

You are right. I checked into this and you can't use a 84/85 driver's side on a carb/turbo. The fill hole will be right under the plenum.

I've ran NA Valve covers before, just switched sides so the fill was on the passenger side head bank. the stamped steel turbo valve covers have the oil fill closer to the end.

The 84/85 passenger side cover has the backend beveled to clear the AC/heater box, but I have heard that others covers will (barely) fit. What kind of breather cap do you use that clears the up and down pipes?

I think I have one of those on my car already, Ill take a look. Im most concerned about the crankcase smoke and where to redirect the hose, seriously that stuff is nasty and I dont want it in the car...

If you have this much smoke coming out the breather, valve covers are you least concern. Have you changed your PCV recently? If it's working, then do a compression test and see where are the all the blowby is coming from.

If you have this much smoke coming out the breather, valve covers are you least concern. Have you changed your PCV recently? If it's working, then do a compression test and see where are the all the blowby is coming from.

We've been trying to get him to do this for a while Rich.

We've been trying to get him to do this for a while Rich.

I did put in a new pcv filter and fixed the hose so it doesnt smoke, i want to run the filter setup as pictured above but dont know where to route the blowby hose to.

Back