You can type here any text you want

Cutting Restriction on Fuel Sending Unit?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BASS

Ok, I got the fuel sending unit out and replacing the pump...Ive read many times that people cut the tube off the suction where it necks down...Is this really required or what??

Also, why must the fuel sock point towards the passenger side when I install the new one??

you dont have to cut the tube but there is a bit of restriction there and its a easy mod to do. you always want good fuel flow to the motor so this will help some. my buddies 10 second ride noticed a 2 pound increase of fuel pressure with that mod and a better fuel pump ground. i say do it while its apart also as far as the fuel sock i dont remember putting mine any certain way.

Hmm, so why was it necked down like that from the factory? Does everyone cut this off, cause im still debating to do it or not...:confused:

I cut mine off.

The sock is placed there so it won't interfere with the float or hit the walls of the sump.

i think everyone that knows about this mod has done it. some people just havent had a chance to do it since they havent droped there tank.

The necked down tube is a restriction, as the line will flow only as much fuel as the smallest ID.
Adding a pump that flows much more than a stock pump, should not be restricted in it's ability to perform.
The factory likley put that neck on there so the assy would go easier, and faster...
Cut it off, and take advantage of the new pump.

my tank is down and the sender is out and a 340 is going in it.
any pictures of this mod.
i have no idea of what the heck you guys are talking about.
thanks.
David

Look at..

my tank is down and the sender is out and a 340 is going in it.
any pictures of this mod.
i have no idea of what the heck you guys are talking about.
thanks.
David

the end of the fuel line that the outlet end of the pump will connect to. See the tube that is "necked down"?? Cut it off, clean up the cut, and then you use the hose that comes w/ the pump, to replace the rubber noise atenuator that connected the factory pump.
Better yet.. Did the kit not come w/ instructions? If not, maybe call the vendor and get 1??

i did this mod along with taking the spring and ball out of the outlet of the pump as well, so there is no restriction there too. Only down side is the car wont hold fuel pressure, but the flow is much better

Pics

here are the pics of what we are talking about. you cut where its tapers down. big difference in pressure once you start pushing that single pump.

18494-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-im001589.jpg

18495-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-im001590.jpg

19397d1158340105-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-hanger-before.jpg

19398d1158340123-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-hanger-after.jpg

19397d1158340105-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-hanger-before.jpg

19398d1158340123-how-install-intank-fuel-pump-fuel-pump-hanger-after.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hey! That's my thumb!
Dead easy mod. Just do it. I'm pretty useless mechanically and I did it no problems. Don't forget th clean up the edges for burrs, etc. before installing the hose back on the sender.

there also a restriction here as well. I didnt take it out but im thinking about it.

Attachments

• IM001589.JPG
    IM001589.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 214
great to hear. just from this mod and a upgraded ground to the sender my buddy gained 2 pounds of pressure on his 10 second ride.

Ground

lol sorry here is a picture of what im talking about.This is a good upgrade as well. I went with Racetronix ground upgrade kit for mine but this way i think is even better. You need to make sure you have a good ground. There is a huge increase in power with a good ground.

Attachments

• DSC04616[1].jpg
    DSC04616[1].jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 195
AHH ship
That’s a good idea
But the tank is in and it isn't coming back down unless it NEEDS TO
Thanks
David

Hmm, so why was it necked down like that from the factory? Does everyone cut this off, cause im still debating to do it or not...:confused:

No gain. Tapers down to fit inside the pulsator which is removed anyhow. Having the metal tube closer to the pump's outlet offers it a bit more mouting stability should the rubber hose get a bit soft over time.

No gain. Tapers down to fit inside the pulsator which is removed anyhow. Having the metal tube closer to the pump's outlet offers it a bit more mouting stability should the rubber hose get a bit soft over time.

So are you saying no gain by cutting it off when going to a better pump? Or no gain with a stock pump?

Back