Cylinder head grooves

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy

Attachments

• pitre%20r100.jpg
    pitre%20r100.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,364
Hmmm... Very interesting. I am not sure I could bring myself to groove a fresh set of heads. It would be interesting to try on a mule motor though. You always find the good stuff Jerryl! :)

i heard of this before i also read about a guy putting dimpules on the cc and the piston that gave the engine a better burn and theres also a companie that makes valves with dimpules on the valves

Seems like a viable solution Jerryl. I haven't read all of it but I'm putting it in my favorites until I get the chance to.

Decrease detonation issues Audie. More turbulance in the chamber which helps swirl and squish.

on a dished piston like we run in our buicks i see no advantage

on a flat top piston and a head like shown where there is maybe only a few thousndths clearance between head and piston on what could be half of the piston surface it makes a lot of sense ...like running fuse to the center of the bomb

Grooves

I agree, that low compression motor would see no benefit. I would also think running a 17:1 ar would be way to lean and melt a hole in the piston.

opinion

I have to disagree - what is the compression ratio with 20lbs of boost .?I have a set of heads on the bench and I am going to definetaly try this trick on them .:cool:

I have to disagree - what is the compression ratio with 20lbs of boost .?I have a set of heads on the bench and I am going to definetaly try this trick on them .:cool:

I've got to agree with you. Anything to add some turbulance in the combustion chamber to keep detonation down is worth a try. If you set everything up with custom pistons the edge of the piston will give great squish and quench and the grove will aid in it.

That would be like 18.8 to 1 comp ratio. :wink:

Yep..

on a dished piston like we run in our buicks i see no advantage

on a flat top piston and a head like shown where there is maybe only a few thousndths clearance between head and piston on what could be half of the piston surface it makes a lot of sense ...like running fuse to the center of the bomb

I agree. W/ a quench distance of .035-.045, etc, this may work as Paul has described....Dished, don't see it as a help.
I guess "time will tell", once it's tried.

Attachments

• combustion mode.jpg
    combustion mode.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 902
  • combustion mode 3.jpg
    combustion mode 3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 510
Thanks, that tellme me what I need to know. Now I can see how it should be placed to work right.