You can type here any text you want

cylinder one zero pressure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
In the hundreds of head gaskets I have replace blown like yours, I have never seen the other side gasket NOT damaged. :(

Do the smart thing and change the other gasket while you are 3/4ths of the way there.

In my opinion of what went wrong is that you were lean and too much timing, but also there was not enough fuel being supplied for it to go that lean. We never run that much timing even with a race engine?

The alky is there primarily for cooling in the combustion chamber, but there was not enough 100 gas to support the HP being developed.

So you need to evaluate fuel delivery which includes the pump, and sufficient power/voltage at the pump
Nope he died in 1980, so I doubt he knew what a turbo Buick was. Though he did wrench on a lot of stuff. I saw him and others unstuck tractor engines by removing the head and putting a 4x4 in the cylinder and beating on it with a sledge hammer and then soaking them with trans fluid and beating some more when I was a kid. He owned an Allis Chalmers dealer for years.
The gurus have spoken swap the other one out. And I would do the timing set while I had it apart. I'm looking forward to the other side pix. I was under the impression that it is better to keep the factory "seal" but I guess I am mistaken.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nope he died in 1980, so I doubt he knew what a turbo Buick was. Though he did wrench on a lot of stuff. I saw him and others unstuck tractor engines by removing the head and putting a 4x4 in the cylinder and beating on it with a sledge hammer and then soaking them with trans fluid and beating some more when I was a kid. He owned an Allis Chalmers dealer for years.
The gurus have spoken swap the other one out. And I would do the timing set while I had it apart. I'm looking forward to the other side pix. I was under the impression that it is better to keep the factory "seal" but I guess I am mistaken.

Not when you detonate the hell out of it and 1 side is blown from that already .. if its an all original motor and never been apart not beat to death .. then yes I would agree with you .. DONT screw with the factory head gasket seal on a mild car ...

also the problem is he is running some boost !!! its not like he detonated a stocker @ 16-17 psi ... detonation at 30 psi does alot more damage in short order

Every time I see one of those HG pics - I like my 18 PSI more and more.
I can live with the occasional humiliation of being beaten in a drag race by a common house fly. ;)

Earl spoke too. I left mine be. Still looking forward to pix if he cracks the factory seal to see what that looks like. If it ain't broke...

well i took off other side here is pic of it ,looks like it was starting to push out on 2 other cylinders, i agree i feel alot better taking off this side also and not have to wonder about it later, now i can start fixing it back up ,still have to drop pan yet and look, i do appriciate everyone help and input and i'm sure i'll have more questions later. thanks
2014-01-20 20.40.46.jpg
2014-01-20 20.39.35.jpg

No trails just center cylinder and one to right gasket ring looks like pushed out a little

Last edited:
Back