Dave Bamford's 4.8 LSX Conversion

Dynoed the car a few weeks ago, made 560@ 5 lbs. Turned on the boost controller to 19 lbs it made 670 rwhp. I am currently using the Neil Chance converter from my TSM combo which produced lo 9 to hi 8 times. The Neil chance converter isn't up to the task of harnessing the power and torque of the twin turbo LSX. A custom PTC was ordered and delivered from Chris Hogeland that will be installed shortly...stay tuned!

Dynoed the car a few weeks ago, made 560@ 5 lbs. Turned on the boost controller to 19 lbs it made 670 rwhp. I am currently using the Neil Chance converter from my TSM combo which produced lo 9 to hi 8 times. The Neil chance converter isn't up to the task of harnessing the power and torque of the twin turbo LSX. A custom PTC was ordered and delivered from Chris Hogeland that will be installed shortly...stay tuned!

Wow someone let these guys know Neil Chance converters aren't up the the task of holding back the massive power of your rompin stompin TT LSX
World Record Holders

Frankie Taylor - ADRL Pro Extreme 3.581 (May 2011 Maple Grove Raceway )
Todd Tutterow - Pro Mod 262.49 MPH Shakedown 2012
TJ Kasper - Outlaw 10.5 4.08@201 Shakedown Oct. 2012
Richard Sexton - Outlaw 10.5 (2012) 4.071@188.49 MIR April 2012
Charlie Dolbin & Harold Caldwell - Outlaw 10.5/Nitrous 4.18 Shakedown 2012
Dan Millen - ADRL Extreme Ten Five (2010) 3.780 ET Record
Rick Thornton - ADRL Extreme Ten Five (2012) 208.62 MPH Record
John Decerbo - ADRL Pro Nitrous w/Automatic (May 2011) 3.834 Maple Groove
Andrew Parise - NHRA Pro Mod (Roots Blown - Nov 2010 Testing) 6.004@237.17
Molnar / Quesenberry - Top Dragster 3.667@200.29 (September 8th, 2012)
Andy Frost - Fastest & Quickest Street Legal Car in the World 6.59@220.09 (June 2012)
Terry Elam - Quickest Turbo X275 4.6406@154.97 (Holly Springs - Oct 2012)
Mark Carlyle - First LSX Powered Car to the 6's - 6.99@209 NMCA Indy 2012
Andy Manson - NMCA 275 Drag Radial (June 2011) ET & MPH Record 7.539@184.85
Robbie Blankenship - NMCA Pro Stock (June 2011) ET & MPH Record 8.375@159.25
Wayde Mahoney - OSCA Pro Stock (2011) ET & MPH Record 8.188@174.77
Don Baskin - NMCA Mean Street (March 2011) ET & MPH Record 9.831@133.80
David Wolfe - Drag Radial (Oct, 2010) 4.403 - SGMP
David Wolfe - Drag Radial (Nov 2010) 6.571@227.38 WCF Test Session
Francis Johnson - Nitrous Drag Radial (2011) 4.529@159.10 with a 1.104 60' - MIR
Bob Hass - NHRA B/AP Comp. Eliminator (2011) 7.18@191 NHRA Jeg's Cajun Sports Nationals, No Problem Raceway
Rob Campisi - Australia Pro Street (Sept 2010) 6.21@237
Tim Lynch/Steve Petty - Outlaw 10.5/Turbo (Oct 2010) Shakedown 6.263@232.51
Chad Holzman - NHRA A/SA (2009) 9.75 (11.30 index) Kearney Raceway Park
Jimmy Holzman - NHRA AA/SA (2009) 9.48
Robert Hass - NHRA B/AA (2010) 7.02 Dallas Division 4

Hmm mine certainly wasn't up to the task and I wasn't about to play the Neil chance guessing game. This one didn't work you need to buy a new $600 pump, that one didn't work time for a new pump etc...

Hey Chris how is that stage 2 stuff selling? LOL!

I received the PTC converter a few weeks back but I have been busy with another project. We ordered from Japan a JDM 2JZGTE for my sons Supra. The car is a JDM right hand drive that had a NA 5 speed set up. We are dropping in a TT with a factory Getrag 6 speed and a Torsen TT rear end with axles. Here is a start up video.

what did the the 2jz with the 6spd cost..if u dont mind asking. u can get just as much out of a n/a 2jz and a 5spd

Less than what it would have cost me to convert na to turbo, plus a gear box and rear end capable of handling the power.

I received the PTC converter a few weeks back but I have been busy with another project. We ordered from Japan a JDM 2JZGTE for my sons Supra. The car is a JDM right hand drive that had a NA 5 speed set up. We are dropping in a TT with a factory Getrag 6 speed and a Torsen TT rear end
with axles.

Funny I did the same thing with my little brothers 94 Supra. It was NA, but he bought the TT2jz motor and 6 speed tranny and bugged the crap out of me to install it for him. I lengthened his harness a foot and a half for Left hand drive, made a custom driveshaft so he didn't have to swap out the rear end. I documented his build on the Supra board. Here's the link.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?675058-94-NA-to-twin-turbo-conversion

motor installed and running.
Toronto-20120727-00272.jpg

Mike
Nice build up! Great job on the build thread too!
I have a few questions, is the extra wire from the jdm harness to the fuse box the efi2 wire? Does the temp sensor in the radiator control the aux electric fan built into the TT shroud?

Thanks!

Dave, register on this board http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forum.php
and look in the FAQs and Guides section for technical advise and help. Its way more detailed then the other board. I was able to download the wiring schematics for both US Spec and J-Spec harnesses. Everything at the ecu, in terms of pin outs are the same for all the key features. But it will help you understand more of where everything goes to route new wires, depending on which harness you have in the car. If you buy the complete US Spec harness everything works as it did with the NA set up. I still have to figure out my little brothers hazard lights and horn as they are not working. But the the car drives nice and smooth and at the level it is at with 18psi on pump gas it should trap 115 mph speeds in the qtr.

Converter is still in the box. I have been working on the supra in my spare time. Chris will be my first call when we strap it to the dyno : )

I have to disagree,
Dave, your build is fantastic. Not only do i really like your setup but it's making killer power. But im not sure how you can say you were a killer die hard V6 guy when you bash it and call it a time bomb. On the quest for power i do see your POV. But there has been v8 performance block's and Dart blocks available since before the LSX platform that were making killer power as well. The point is the V6 buick is where it began for turbocharging a domestic and it was a movement, still is a movement. Yeah i know you might have had some bad motor's built on your coin and absolutely the power/cost ratio out of the LSX is impressive! But i see guys like Manny TSO killing time with his V6. Cruz, JW, Richie, Look at what Bison does on pump and alky! Can't forget ploggi Street driven AC on OD transmission's. Rojas/Echevarria local guy running 5's on a street driven car with AC. I still think the V6 is an absolute masterpiece. You are on a quest for power and a newer platform allow's you to do this easier cheaper and safer. But again you have 2 more cylinder's!! I respect you and your car but these little 6's still ruffle feather's and i think you have lost all respect for it when there wasnt a v8 that would step on the line with these little engine's that could. I love the LSX but im a true 6 guy. I think you should show a little more respect to the 6's especially on a turbo 6 site. Love your 8 i truly do its awesome, i would build them too!! but the 6's also get it done . You have to surround yourself with an engine builder and people you trust and that are good people to get positive outcome's unfortunately it didnt happen for you on the 6. Thanks for you input when i asked you a question, i hope you dont take this post the wrong way. It wasn't meant to start a argument what so ever.

FWIW... I have talked to 3 "Big Name" engine builders, two of them have built some very fast Buick V6s, and the other has his own twin turbo Stage 2 making 1200 hp. All 3 told me not to waste my time with a stage or TA motor unless I planned on racing where I had to run the V6. If all I want to do it see how fast I can go and enjoy my car, put an LSX together and have at it. It will make more power with less boost, be easier to drive, require less maitenance, last a hell of a lot longer, and cost much less.

FWIW... I have talked to 3 "Big Name" engine builders, two of them have built some very fast Buick V6s, and the other has his own twin turbo Stage 2 making 1200 hp. All 3 told me not to waste my time with a stage or TA motor unless I planned on racing where I had to run the V6. If all I want to do it see how fast I can go and enjoy my car, put an LSX together and have at it. It will make more power with less boost, be easier to drive, require less maitenance, last a hell of a lot longer, and cost much less.

Buick racing is dead! Just another reason to switch to a LSX along with everything listed above.

True... But this is a section on LSX conversions in Buicks, discussing the pros and cons of them, on the Buick message board.