Deep aluminum pan filter extension question

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
I see Summit / Jegs sells a Hughes with a gasket and filter but says it doesn't come with a filter extension and the Hughes holds 2 extra quarts , So my question is an extension needed ? As fluid is pumped and flows back to the pan it only makes since that the cooler fluid is closer to the bottom of the deep pan , again one would want his filter as close to the bottom as he could get ? So if or where would you get an extension ? Thanks again guys for the feed back , Keith

again one would want his filter as close to the bottom as he could get ?
I don't know if the temp matters,but I wonder how many people who build engines would lower the bottom of the engine oil pan sump and use a stock pickup. I have never understood why anyone would buy this pan. It does nothing to reduce the chance of sucking air above and beyond the stock pan and a 700 filter. The stock set up has a problem with sucking air,not running too hot.

I don't know if the temp matters,but I wonder how many people who build engines would lower the bottom of the engine oil pan sump and use a stock pickup. I have never understood why anyone would buy this pan. It does nothing to reduce the chance of sucking air above and beyond the stock pan and a 700 filter. The stock set up has a problem with sucking air,not running too hot.
I know the life of a tranny is high temps and what you can do to lower them , I have a cooler I'm gonna mount when my trans gets built , which I'm planning on soon , so just wanting to know the proper way to install the filter and to what height

I've been looking at these recently. The pan uses a 700 filter that sucks from the bottom. Many use these filters with the standard pan.
The deep pan holds more fluid, so the deep pan and extra fluid sorta balance out I guess.
I know some recommend overfilling the standard pan by a quart to minimize chances of sucking air. I imagine this pan could also be overfilled too.

If I’m not mistaken there is no need to buy an extension. There is either 3 or 4 bosses inside the bottom of the pan that holds the filter about 1 inch off the bottom. We ended up grinding some of them off and I think we used a 2004r filter. We did overfill the stock pan by a quart but no need with the deeper pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Hughes pan as well as the pan TA performance sells. The 700-r4 filter is way better than the 200-4r filter it feeds from the bottom. The aluminum pan add 2 quarts and is a large heat sink under the car. Put a pressure guage on the trans, pressure will be less erratic with deep pan vs stock pan set-up. If your car is mainly a street car and not a frame twister stock set-up will work just fine. I depends on what you want to do with your car.

I used the Hughes pan as well as the pan TA performance sells. The 700-r4 filter is way better than the 200-4r filter it feeds from the bottom. The aluminum pan add 2 quarts and is a large heat sink under the car. Put a pressure guage on the trans, pressure will be less erratic with deep pan vs stock pan set-up. If your car is mainly a street car and not a frame twister stock set-up will work just fine. I depends on what you want to do with your car.

Steve something that is never talked about with these cast pans ( over the sheet metal style) is the benefit they have making the trans case sturdy. Sort of a girdle on the pan rail. An old veteran Stock eliminator trans builder shared this with me many years ago. Just some info for us.

A couple thoughts.
The stock 2004r filter was designed to be in a car and probably never see a hard launch or a fluid/filter change. So, the top feed to try to keep the trans from sucking up that crud you find when pulling a pan in need of service. Top feed works as the original engineers probably didn't take in to consideration the Turbo Regal would be pulling sub 2 60' and uncovering the filter. This sucks air instead of fluid and air doesn't keep the clutches applied. Slipping clutches, become torched clutches and a burned band and it goes down hill from there.

Cool fluid is nice but hot fluid is way better than no fluid. So you want to make sure to keep the filter where it sucks fluid and not air. A deep pan helps with this as you can get the pick up point lower and further back in the pan.

I'm cheap and a $200plus pan isn't in my budget so I went with the 700 filter in a stock pan and a quart over full. Just have to make sure your tv cable, dipstick tube, speedo bullet and shift shaft are sealed good.

Last edited:
I see Summit / Jegs sells a Hughes with a gasket and filter but says it doesn't come with a filter extension and the Hughes holds 2 extra quarts , So my question is an extension needed ? As fluid is pumped and flows back to the pan it only makes since that the cooler fluid is closer to the bottom of the deep pan , again one would want his filter as close to the bottom as he could get ? So if or where would you get an extension ? Thanks again guys for the feed back , Keith
Keith , call Dave Husek about the deep pan & pick up . He set mine up when he rebuilt it and had a few tricks he did . You can get a hold of him 7 days week till 9 pm .