You can type here any text you want

Deep oil pan

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDetroit

I've researched this and I see a lot of old threads. Also I'm reading a lot of mixed opinions. So when should we consider going to a deep sump pan. If the engine revs out to 6500 rpm on a 9.80 pass is the stock pan sufficient? I've read the thread where bison ran a 9.9x on the 6265 mfs and don't see a deep sump as part of the combination however, I believe it was shifted at 5800 rpm or so.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock pan on many 9 second cars. However I don't think anyone makes a stock 20 bolt pan, so if you want to buy a new pan because yours is damaged or rusty your options are limited. The other benefit to the deep pan is the nut is welded on the outside so more oil drains from the pan than a stocker.

You read lots of "mixed opinions" because one important consideration is not mentioned or included like in many posts, and that is how is the car going to be driven and used? :confused:

For normal street performance driving a stock pan is adequate, but on the race track conditions are different as the RPM range is usually higher and the car is accelerating continuous for over 1/4 mile.

Track performance results in the oil being forced to the back of the pan for the entire run, and can result in the pump not receiving oil, not a good thing at 6800 or so RPM. A deep pan is good insurance in this case.

If the internal oil drain backs are restricted, or insufficient oil is available, and the bearings not receiving enough oil for lubrication and cooling at RPM is something you do not want.

You read lots of "mixed opinions" because one important consideration is not mentioned or included like in many posts, and that is how is the car going to be driven and used? :confused:

For normal street performance driving a stock pan is adequate, but on the race track conditions are different as the RPM range is usually higher and the car is accelerating continuous for over 1/4 mile.

Track performance results in the oil being forced to the back of the pan for the entire run, and can result in the pump not receiving oil, not a good thing at 6800 or so RPM. A deep pan is good insurance in this case.

If the internal oil drain backs are restricted, or insufficient oil is available, and the bearings not receiving enough oil for lubrication and cooling at RPM is something you do not want.

So if I'm shifting the car at 6000 rpm and launching off the transbrake I'm guessing that you would recommend a deeper pan. Car is street/strip. Not running a class, but will be grudge raced in Mexico maybe a few times a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back